Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000, start screen loop

Dan Den

Evening,

My tablet was working fine the other day, then then all of a sadden it rebooted, and since then every time I switch it one it is stuck on the screen that states "Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1". I plan on taking it to the repair shop, but they always just tell me I need to factory rest any of my devices even for the smallest inconveniences. Oh yeah one more problem is that I cannot boot into the boot menu, holding the up/down button with the power one does nothing.

The tablet might be a little old but it is where I keep all of my documents, and I would really rather not have to delete every thing.

I usually don't find repair shops worthwhile, especially if you live in a first world country or a high cost of living area. 95% of repairs shops will fuck you over for profit and charge money just to "diagnosis"  the issue or bullshit you (most can't do motherboard circuit level repairs or even a basic transistor solder repair). That's why I throw away my older pieces of technology that break, most cases the cost of repair would cost comparable to getting another device or at least 50% cost of an high end model. Kind of sad how we as a society find this as a social norm now and also to be fair, to a certain extent the manufacturers are to be partially blamed, as they don't release schematics or allow you or third party repairs access to parts hence increasing cost to fix.

Anyhow, unless you really need the data. I would just not bother to fix, besides if the data is really important you would've at least have a backup (though in my opinion, if your important data is not backed up in 3 different locations, consider it nonexistent).

Cut your losses and buy another tablet. I got my Nexus 9 about half a year ago for $299 AUD, I bet you could grab a similar highend tablet for about the same or less these days...

9 hours ago, JohnFlower said:

If you cant get into recovery mode, you're essentially fucked.

As long as all of your documents are stored on /mnt/sdcard, you can factory reset and still have access to your shit.

Crap, I was hoping for a better answer than that, unfortunately they were stored in the internal memory rather than external. I know this is a long shot but is there a way to remove the internal memory like of a computer driver and put it in another or data mine, or something along those lines?

6 hours ago, ZeroPenguins said:

I usually don't find repair shops worthwhile, especially if you live in a first world country or a high cost of living area. 95% of repairs shops will fuck you over for profit and charge money just to "diagnosis"  the issue or bullshit you (most can't do motherboard circuit level repairs or even a basic transistor solder repair). That's why I throw away my older pieces of technology that break, most cases the cost of repair would cost comparable to getting another device or at least 50% cost of an high end model. Kind of sad how we as a society find this as a social norm now and also to be fair, to a certain extent the manufacturers are to be partially blamed, as they don't release schematics or allow you or third party repairs access to parts hence increasing cost to fix.

Anyhow, unless you really need the data. I would just not bother to fix, besides if the data is really important you would've at least have a backup (though in my opinion, if your important data is not backed up in 3 different locations, consider it nonexistent).

Cut your losses and buy another tablet. I got my Nexus 9 about half a year ago for $299 AUD, I bet you could grab a similar highend tablet for about the same or less these days...

The feeling is mutual man, the cost to repair any piece of equipment usually does not warrant the trip and often it is much easier to replace said part. Well to the last part depends on where you live, so long as you are wiling to void your warranty you can pretty much get any third party parts to replace the original ones.

I rarely backup any data of mine, and you would think I would learnt my lesson since last time it was only a loop and I could get into the boot menu. Even when the documents are as important as now I really did not see this coming or I would have at least transferred them to my PC.

I have a new Tablet(the new Apple one) and was planning to transfer everything there but causality had other plans for me.

Just now, ZeroPenguins said:

If you can't access your bootloader or recovery, like what @JohnFlower said you're essentially fucked.

I did take it to the tech center and they told me they would have to reinstall the operating system, thus as you said I am fucked.

Or I was able to enter ODIN mode, note sure if that help anything, but I am open to any ideas.

2zyj091.jpg2lk2lqc.jpg

9 hours ago, Dan Den said:

I did take it to the tech center and they told me they would have to reinstall the operating system, thus as you said I am fucked.

Or I was able to enter ODIN mode, note sure if that help anything, but I am open to any ideas.

2zyj091.jpg2lk2lqc.jpg

From there, you could try just reflashing the a stock ROM yourself. As long as you do a dirty flash and not wipe any data, you have a chance of getting past the bootloop (although a dirty flash generally leads to a bootloop).

How were you able to get to that screen, but not get into recovery, is it not just one button different (vol up rather than vol down)?

Just now, Darkshadow6400 said:

From there, you could try just reflashing the a stock ROM yourself. As long as you do a dirty flash and not wipe any data, you have a chance of getting past the bootloop (although a dirty flash generally leads to a bootloop).

How were you able to get to that screen, but not get into recovery, is it not just one button different (vol up rather than vol down)?

I have no idea how to flash the stock ROM and if given the option, I would rather go with the one where I can recover or copy the data(dirty flash). I got into that mode by holding the power button with the down one.

Edited by Dan Den

Just now, JohnFlower said:

Go into recovery mode then. Check XDA-Users for suitable roms.

Unfortunately the mode showed in the picture is the only place I can get to, pressing the volume up and power button does nothing but go through the start screen loop.

Edited by Dan Den

1 hour ago, Dan Den said:

Unfortunately the mode showed in the picture is the only place I can get to, pressing the volume up and power button does nothing but go through the start screen loop.

That's okay. You can flash a new ROM from that screen. Just download a suitable rom from XDA, install Odin on your computer and you're good to go.

Just now, JohnFlower said:

It's power button + home button + volume up for Samsung devices.

That is the 2014 edition if I am not mistaken, I have the older model from 2012 or 2013, hard to remember. The one I have does not have a home button.

Just now, Darkshadow6400 said:

That's okay. You can flash a new ROM from that screen. Just download a suitable rom from XDA, install Odin on your computer and you're good to go.

Alright I will try that and let you know what happens.