Laptop Recommendations

SenshiKeizu

If you're not an IT guy, don't have an IT guy, or are not going to monitor windows updates for key vulnerabilities then Enterprise LTSB is not for you. Yes, it has less OS fluff/bloat but that doesn't make it the go to windows OS. Basically if your asking for advise on a laptop you don't want the LTSB version.

Next if your on this site your likely to want media play N means "not with media player". That and you can always remove media player.

What kind of networking do you want to do with your laptop? Do you plan to use the laptop with Active Directory Services and have a server control it's policies and remote diagnostics? That is what Enterprise was made for, IT departments to manage businesses resources. Yes, it includes applocker but do you need it? Basically you're looking for an OEM Windows 10 professional that will keep you from having bloatware, the OS has it's own bloat but there are some cool apps in the store so you don't want to give that up.

Any Laptop you get will have bloat but if price is not an issue go Dell or Sony they back their warranties the best. Dell owns alienware as well. If you don't want to buy a clean OEM copy of Windows, no big deal, spend the first day with your new laptop uninstalling all ad / sample / trial and manufacture software. Once you have it cleaned and your base software installed ghost or image it for a backup to restore from.

Edited by TotalSpazz

39 minutes ago, TotalSpazz said:

If you're not an IT guy, don't have an IT guy, or are not going to monitor windows updates for key vulnerabilities then Enterprise LTSB is not for you. Yes, it has less OS fluff/bloat but that doesn't make it the go to windows OS. Basically if your asking for advise on a laptop you don't want the LTSB version.

Next if your on this site your likely to want media play N means "not with media player". That and you can always remove media player.

What kind of networking do you want to do with your laptop? Do you plan to use the laptop with Active Directory Services and have a server control it's policies and remote diagnostics? That is what Enterprise was made for, IT departments to manage businesses resources. Yes, it includes applocker but do you need it? Basically you're looking for an OEM Windows 10 professional that will keep you from having bloatware, the OS has it's own bloat but there are some cool apps in the store so you don't want to give that up.

Any Laptop you get will have bloat but if price is not an issue go Dell or Sony they back their warranties the best. Dell owns alienware as well. If you don't want to buy a clean OEM copy of Windows, no big deal, spend the first day with your new laptop uninstalling all ad / sample / trial and manufacture software. Once you have it cleaned and your base software installed ghost or image it for a backup to restore from.

One doesn't need any extra knowledge to use an Enterprise SKU. In fact, disabling some of the telemetry shit is easier in Enterprise than in Pro. And honestly, I'd like to hope that a university student knew their way around a computer.

Whether one wants to manage their updates is irrelevant. Microsoft has never released a detailed changelog for anything. With Windows 10, it's worse. Essentially it's go with the flow or get left behind.

N means Windows isn't built with stupid dependencies for managing media. It's more than just Windows Media Player, and even includes MTP drivers/protocols. This means that one may end up installing the Media Feature Pack... But with the added bonus of being able to uninstall anything without ruining something else.

Not entirely sure why you brought up AD and AppLocker since this is a personal laptop... But ok.

Store (and every other 'Windows app') is considered bloat. Besides that, one shouldn't need 'Windows apps' for university work. If they did, I'm sure one could find a worthy replacement outside of Store. Windows has the most applications out of any operating system, mobile or otherwise.

Did you seriously just recommend Alienware? If so, gg.

Assuming the university is decent and is part of the DreamSpark program, one can get various Windows versions and SKUs for free. No need to pay for anything. And even if the university isn't partaking in DreamSpark, there's always alternative (read: not so legal) methods.

Why would one spend a day uninstalling bloat when they can spend 2 hours installing Enterprise N LTSB and the software required? That way one would know there is no bloat rather than putting their faith in uninstallers and some registry cleaning program.

Salem, op read for yourself, if you care about what edition of windows you get.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-10-will-have-seven-editions-heres-how-to-tell-which-is-for-you/

You can always check woot.com / newegg / bestbuy for a good deal on a laptop. Also http://www.pricewatch.com/ is a good resource and if you use amazon try camelcamelcamel.com . I know you likely don't care much about the edition of windows you get, you just didn't want the manufacture and vendor bloat.

I did overgeneralize to keep it simple and make it easy to understand. Please note Enterprise is normally for organizations with IT departments that is why i talked about AD and applocker. We are talking about Enterprise on a personal laptop. Also I didn't recommend Alienware, I made a statement about dell owning Alienware. It was a random thought that i added for information.

Edited by TotalSpazz

5 hours ago, Salem said:

All I want to do is office work (Word, PowerPoint etc.). And some web browsing.

As of Office 2016 (possibly earlier), RTM installers are now 'click-to-run'. This means that selecting which applications/tools/bloat to install becomes harder. Read this guide to learn how to customise your installation.

If you don't want to piss around with that or don't want to give Microsoft dollars, download a VL version. The VL versions allow you to select applications like you used to.

2 hours ago, TotalSpazz said:

I did overgeneralize to keep it simple and make it easy to understand. Please note Enterprise is normally for organizations with IT departments that is why i talked about AD and applocker. We are talking about Enterprise on a personal laptop.

I get what you're saying about redundant features, but there really is no other option. Enterprise N LTSB is certainly the only choice if you value bloatless freedom. It being an Enterprise SKU doesn't mean one cant use it as their personal operating system.

Edited by JohnFlower
Fix url

12 hours ago, JohnFlower said:

Sure, but I don't think Chromebook has a model with an i7 CPU... So that leaves Macbook.

There is, you can get a Chromebook Pixel with an i7 chipset.

2 hours ago, TotalSpazz said:

:-) both have their own kind of bloat / adware. just the same if that is what the op wants so be it. however, he was talking about a surface so unlikely.

That's your definition of bloat, bloat to another user could mean something entirely else. Some people prefer to install those shitty adware or sign up to spam mail as to them it isn't spam...