BIOS Boot Menu Help

seirachan

3c1690a077.png

Motherboard: http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-z87-pro-atx-lga1150-z87-e2-84506-1145.htm

I recently got a new motherboard but whenever I plug in my second hard drive it refuses to launch my newer one I've been using on the old motherboard.

Newer one is a Kingston SSD while the old one is a seagate HHD, it's practically broken but I never bothered to take important files off of it.

I go into the Boot menu when I start up the PC select the Kingston drive, double click or hit enter on my Kingston drive and just starts up my old drive. I've tried seeing if I can click and drag the Kingston and move it up the list but I appear to only be able to double click or press enter. There are no key commands or anything on the screen.

Changing boot drives order is easy enough, though from what you said doesn't make sense. Why are you trying to boot from your SSD if you haven't installed your OS on it? If there is nothing to boot, the motherboard would go to the next bootable device on the list which is your old HDD.

As I stated I used it on my old motherboard, It has an OS on it and its currently in use. I have to unplug the HDD so it will boot from the SSD which I am using right now.

Edited by seirachan

Oh, well it is recommended that you should reinstall Windows OSes when you change motherboards. It would save you from the headaches you may get in the future if something messes up.

If you just want to boot from your SSD, you should go into your BIOS boot order list and change the ordering by using either page down/up keys or via GUI which your motherboard probably has.

I believe for your one it's the DEL key and you should be greeted with a UEFI interface. You just follow what it says on screen on how to change boot priority.

If you already done that, then I got no idea why you can't change the boot priority. It's either you're doing it wrong, or you just have some other problem which you haven't specified.

Try making sure your hard drive from your current computer is not set to Master on the Jumpers, and that its plugged into #2 on the motherboard. Set it to be the slave drive.

If their both set to master, it will more than likely boot them up in the order on the motherboard ports, or your bios settings specify.

Master will be the one it boots from or loads first, while slave will be a secondary.

Your old one from the other computer is probly already set to master since you used it to boot in that computer, just check the one you dont want it to boot from and set it to slave or change plug order on motherboard and bios settings.

EDIT: I just noticed ones a SATA drive, I don't believe those use jumpers unless their older. Check the cables on the motherboard to the hard drives and switch them. That might do it for ya. Your board probly has numbered ports, put the one you want to boot from in #1.

I also noticed one says USB SATA. Are you trying to boot from a hard drive plugged into USB or boot from SSD while a bootable hard drive is plugged into USB? Your going to have to do a few things first if that's the case or unplug the older one.

Edited by DarkDream787

• 1 month later...

Alright so I've finally had time to try and fix this and nope nothing works. Page up and down does not change which drive is on top. There are no key commands in the bios start up menu all I can do is press enter or click on something and it just starts up as if I've done nothing. Just starts up the old drive.

http://puu.sh/kqznB/ba20bc4258.jpg

Clearest photo I can get.

I've checked the cables, switched them. I've done everything. In order to start up my pc I have to unplug the old drive.

Currently my SSD in plugged into the dark brown port but I've tried all combinations, both in the dark brown ports, switching them between ports, one in brown one in another etc. nothing is different.

Edited by seirachan