Ethernet/Wi-Fi Problem?

Kid Ryan

When the ethernet cable is plugged in, do you see any lights blinking next to the port?  This probably isn't the problem, but is the adapter enabled in the Network and Sharing Center in the Control Panel?

I've already tried these methods.

1.) I updated the ethernet driver to the latest version via both Windows Update and manufacturer's site.

2.) I tested the modem/router combo and the exact same cable (they work fine when connected to my PS3 and another PC).

3.) I made sure the wi-fi was disabled first before I enabled the ethernet adapter in Network and Sharing Center. That's how I know it keeps switching between "Connected" and "Unplugged Cable".

So it has to be an issue with the physical NIC card, what else could it be, right?

Its more than likely the fact your computer is using Windows 8.1 and your driver even if updated is not updated to work with the newer windows 8.1 with the current hardware your PC has in it. You can either wait, or replace the card with a new one. That kind of crap is why I never updated to 8.1 and never will after doing it once and seeing what it did to my computer.

Any newer NIC that came out after the original Windows 8 should work with that operating system I would think.

ot maybe your ethernet driver may have a larger threshold limit enabled on it. try checking that. It doesn't usually happen but it may have an effect since Windows usually keeps a limit of 10% to it self. at your case at default it may have restricted more thqn 10%. may be it's having more. did you check it? just google about checking the threshold limit of your ethernet port. you'll find a method.

Did it ever work before? I could be a few different things...hardware, driver..maybe bios setting.  Do you know if this is a separate NIC or integrated in the motherboard?

Yes it did, before we swapped out our modem for a newer device.

However it can't be the device, since both my PS3 and another PC are able to connect to the ethernet fine via it, and it can't be the cable either since I use that for the PS3 and other PC too.

I'm not sure what your skill level is, but if possible, you should try the part of this article below that talks about using a Live Linux cd or usb to determine if it's a hardware problem.  If it works in Linux, then you know it's a setting or driver issue. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2835564/when-your-ethernet-wont-connect.html

I have no clue how to operate Linux. My current PC has it, but only because a RL friend forced it on me.

Our PC has always had Windows 8.1 btw, even when the ethernet was working.

It's really just booting an ubuntu operating system from usb; it's point and click like windows.  Setting up the usb is the hardest part.  The first section of this describes how to create the usb and boot into it.  Then you can try the ethernet from ubuntu, and if it works, you know it's not a hardware problem.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2147063/linux-to-the-rescue-how-ubuntu-can-help-a-computer-in-distress.html

Do you know if anything changed between the time it worked and now?  Did you change any router settings?