Kara no Kyoukai - The Garden of Sinners

artiswar

So it's been a long while since I watched something that made me feel the burning need to analyze, discuss it, and show it to everyone I can but that time has come again. I just finished the 7 films of Kara no Kyoukai and I'm at a loss for words because the bar has been raised for all animes I watch from here on out.

To put it simply, KnK is about a deeply troubled, complex girl called Shiki who awakens to a unique power called the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception which make her virtually unkillable. At the centre of her world is Mikiya, a truly kind and warmhearted guy who is inexplicably drawn to her and tries to break down her many walls of isolation and show her that she can be more than a killer.

I could gush about the visuals, music, voice-acting, writing, direction, but all you need to know is that these elements come together like a symphony that can be quiet, beautiful, contemplative, but also completely unnerving and chill-inducing, and when the much awaited action scenes finally come, they are total stop-and-rewind-about-5-times moments.

If you're a fan of things like Ga-Rei Zero, Elfen Lied, or Higurashi/When They Cry, these films will be right up your ally. In terms of length, 5 of the 7 movies clock in at about about 50 minutes each, playing out like stand-alone 2-episode story arcs, with movies 5 and 7 being more massive and meaty 2-hour spectacles.

I will end this pitch by pointing out that the fifth movie is a mindfuck of such epic proportions that I don't think I can do it justice at this moment.

Have you seen Kara no Kyoukai? What is your order of preference for the movies? Also how many times did you poop yourself? :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is there any reason not to watch this in chronological order and to instead watch it in the order it was aired/released? Because I'd kind of prefer to watch this in order of the timeline, but if there is a specific reason I shouldn't do this I'd rather watch it that way so as to not ruin the experience.

I'm currently working on my own release of this show that takes quality and size into consideration as all other releases seemed to care about quality alone and ended up with releases of 30 GB - 70 GB depending on 720p or 1080p. Sure ANE's release will remain the "best" in terms of quality and grain retention but I hope my release will be seen as a happy medium. I expect the release I put out will likely be around 18GB for the 7 movies, epilogue, remix, and the newer 8th movie; give or take some GB. Episode 5 and 7 will of course be rather big considering they're double the length of the rest as well as full of grain, but they should still be more than half the size of CoalGirls and ANE's release at 720p.

I'm not doing 1080p because of size and the fact that only the backgrounds were rendered in 1080p. Everything else about the show besides the new backgrounds was upscaled.

• Like 3

Is there any reason not to watch this in chronological order and to instead watch it in the order it was aired/released? Because I'd kind of prefer to watch this in order of the timeline, but if there is a specific reason I shouldn't do this I'd rather watch it that way so as to not ruin the experience.

I'm currently working on my own release of this show that takes quality and size into consideration as all other releases seemed to care about quality alone and ended up with releases of 30 GB - 70 GB depending on 720p or 1080p. Sure ANE's release will remain the "best" in terms of quality and grain retention but I hope my release will be seen as a happy medium. I expect the release I put out will likely be around 18GB for the 7 movies, epilogue, remix, and the newer 8th movie; give or take some GB. Episode 5 and 7 will of course be rather big considering they're double the length of the rest as well as full of grain, but they should still be more than half the size of CoalGirls and ANE's release at 720p.

I'm not doing 1080p because of size and the fact that only the backgrounds were rendered in 1080p. Everything else about the show besides the new backgrounds was upscaled.

Ok will look forward to it :) & might replace my current source with urs if the quality:size is in my likings ^_^

PS: Didnt u once said something about a Hardware problem u were having??