As the title proclaims, this is the area for which I'll be updating over time with regards to the transforming robot I mentioned.

I'll label everything accordingly to organize things nicely and I'll do my best to explain everything nicely. If need be, I'll do a video screen capture of my work to help explain things better. Maybe I'll even make a voice debut. Who knows.

-June 11, 2014

Coming from the concepts I had created, I realized that while painting in details, there was a very high chance that what I created would end up being discarded in the first place.

Here's the painting in question. This is as far as I got before I decided to dump it (the painting, not the design of course)

14394635212_0fba2d32b2_o.jpg

It's pretty large of course. I won't be working on it anymore. From now on I'll experiment with different models as I go (as in constructing them slowly in Maya and them changing anything I need).

To start me on in this new creation path, I customized an existing Armature model within ZBrush 4r6 to my liking. This is labeled Armature_01 as I might make more to suit my needs better. The Armatures will serve as the backbone of the robot. They will define the overall shape and dimensions of the model.

14372877886_975fa28d18_o.jpg

-This image rendered in Arnold. 1920x1920. Simple aiShader applied to the background plane with a metal aiShader applied to the armature. Lighting is provided via IBL (Skydome Light with a HDRI map connected to its color-

Here's a screenshot of the Zbrush file:

14209638397_7eb57cf451_o.jpg

and the subsequent Maya file after a GoZ export:

14209499740_ba6c6901e5_o.jpg

Sugoi!~ I'm not quite sure what I'm looking out, but that's probably a tribute to how complicated it is.

A little curious, what did you find wrong with this step? Just because to my eyes it looks pretty solid!

14394635212_0fba2d32b2_o.jpg

Well the thing is. I could add as much detail as I want but that's not a guarantee that those details will appear in the 3D model. This painting however already has enough detail to get me started, so there really isn't anything wrong to it. I'd rather just start building it and add details as I go rather than waste time on a concept which I may or may never be satisfied with.

Sugoi!~ I'm not quite sure what I'm looking out, but that's probably a tribute to how complicated it is.

A little curious, what did you find wrong with this step? Just because to my eyes it looks pretty solid!

Well the thing is. I could add as much detail as I want but that's not a guarantee that those details will appear in the 3D model. This painting however already has enough detail to get me started, so there really isn't anything wrong to it. I'd rather just start building it and add details as I go rather than waste time on a concept which I may or may never be satisfied with.

Thats probably your best bet, get it going and then play with it until satisfied. So far so good, I look forward to the evolution of your robot!

Also will you be working on them one at a time, or will each robot just be a past iteration of the constantly evolving one?