Update me!

Kora

(Not sure if this would be the right place to post this. Mods feel free to move this if it belongs somewhere else)

I was gone for a while and since my return I have noticed a few different things about the forum. If someone could answer these simple questions I'd be very content  ^^

1) Loving the new theme. Not planning on changing it but is there any way of jumping through the older ones or is this a permanent theme type of thing?

2) What ever happened to the whole concept of Gil and being able to purchase stuff with them? What happened with the games on the site?

3) Is there any way of updating my member title?

4) What are the benefits of using an IRC channel and removing the old chat box? Would it not make sense to just have both? 

5) Any other important changes that I should be aware of?

You can change themes via Change Theme at the bottom of the page. Whether Koby intends to buy another theme is dependent on the amount of donations he receives and whether he feels like it, haha.

Gil was a part of the RPG system, which is no longer compatible with the forum software. To my understanding, Koby did his best to keep it a part of the forum, but it just wasn't meant to be.

I believe the arcade was removed for inactivity and possibly being a drain on resources, but I'm not in the loop about that.

Your member title can be updated after you make 500 posts. This is covered in the FAQ.

The IRC channel allows you access to the XDCC bots, which is how you can download stuff for free without needing to deal with post count minimums. Depending on your tastes and experiences, it's faster than torrents, more private than torrents, and less likely to go missing for disuse, as download in file lockers would.

The chat box didn't contribute towards a forum community, but rather built a chat community. It was also difficult to moderate and a source of a lot of drama. Chat boxes can also be a drain on server resources, though I'm uncertain whether the specific one Koby was using had that particular issue.

• Like 1

Thank you for the answers!

Yeah, sorry about the third question. I read through the FAQ right after posting this, I should have gone to it before.

P.S. http://forums.kametsu.com/index.php?/topic/9603-read-this-before-you-ask-for-help/'>You should probably update this thread since it references Gil and the Arcade

and yeah I hadn't really thought about the bandwidth so it all makes sense now. Thank you once again.

(Not sure if this would be the right place to post this. Mods feel free to move this if it belongs somewhere else)

I was gone for a while and since my return I have noticed a few different things about the forum. If someone could answer these simple questions I'd be very content  ^^

1) Loving the new theme. Not planning on changing it but is there any way of jumping through the older ones or is this a permanent theme type of thing?

2) What ever happened to the whole concept of Gil and being able to purchase stuff with them? What happened with the games on the site?

3) Is there any way of updating my member title?

4) What are the benefits of using an IRC channel and removing the old chat box? Would it not make sense to just have both? 

5) Any other important changes that I should be aware of?

1) We changed forum software, so anything from it wasn't compatible. Though we've recently got an unfinished version of our old default skin back. I want to make a lot of edits to it still though.

2) As EO said, it didn't have it's use anymore. Everything the vBshop allowed you to spend gil on can practically be done on IP.Board by default and we don't have the old RPG system either. Arcade was rarely used towards the end, and so I just never looked at installing a new one when we changed to IP.Board. I'm not even sure if there is an actively updated Arcade plugin.

3) EO already answered.

4) Chatbox just caused drama. Almost everyone voted for it's removal. Besides that, it was a huge resource hog due to it's needing to constant refresh with ajax and such. It was constantly overloading the server. I'd practically need to pay $20+ additionally a month just to maintain it. The IRC channel on the other hand is hosted on a network of servers (currently connected to about 9 servers, one of them being mine). It has a lot more potential and a lot more uses. Besides talking, you can play games such as Anime Trivia, IdleRPG, and even battle other members from experience gained in the Trivia. There are also about 13 XDCC Bots in which you can utilize to download anime, cartoons, and manga from at top speeds from dedicated servers for free without the hassle of filehosts or torrents. Overall, IRC is better, and there wasn't any point in having two places of chat alongside the forum.

5) Hmm, we've become a bit friendlier, got new staff, banned a bunch of trouble makers, updated software, beefed up security and features, got some new faces, and working on new things. We've got a Newsletter, and other nice things too.

Though still no milk and cookies.

• Like 2