Things to do when depressed? Also rules of engagement?

NickthePwn3r

Currently being depressed from my gf of 10months almost 11 telling me she spontaneously has fallen out of love with me on thanksgiving of all days haha. So we are doing the take a break and her think about it in the mean time. So during this time I was drinking last night and i plan on doing that again starting this afternoon when my friend gets of work perhaps. I find i lack the will power to even play EVE and imma miner,, Cant read my book. So i honestly would like to know what in the world does one do in this situation?

Note: im not a cutter or anything like that, however i do sometimes punch ma self in the head or otherwise smash head into objects.

What makes you happy? What helps you get your mind off things? Do you have anyone you could hang out with?

You could try working out, doing chores, hanging out with friends--just normal stuff. Do something you've been meaning to do like go rock climbing, trying out a new restaurant, or whatever. Stay in touch with your social circle and people who support you. Even if you think there's no one who cares, there's usually at least one! You don't really have to do anything that pulls you out of your comfort zone--even just hanging with a friend and having a few brews while you vent can be good for you as long as you do the talking part and not just drink until you black out, haha. Play a co-op game, even if it's a goofy one like Boom Blox or Mario Party. Play a board game.

I mean, there's no real "If you do this, it will make you happy and get you out of this funk" answer. If there was, I would have found it by now and wouldn't be seeing a shrink regularly, haha.

I hope it gets better, though, and that things are well with you. You're always free to vent on the forum or shoot me a message!

• Like 1

First bit of advice. Stop drinking. It will only make you more depressed.

Second, people fall in and out of love all the time. Best thing to do is, since you're both just taking a break, and at least one of you is hoping to rekindle the romance, relax, think about the good times, and plan something special to do for her. I don't know what that something is, because I don't know her. I'm sure you can figure it out.

• Like 1

Since you gave me some advice i want to impart some good or i think good advice to you. Give her space, don't contact her or anything like that, i think even a letter might be out of the question. Let her get back in contact with you do not force her into it or anything. Explore other options yourself, for all you know she wan't the one so you never know.

Well this no longer matters because she decided to end it

Everything matters. But, I assure you, however awful your experience.... eventually you come to accept that both the duration of the experience and its end are two of the best things to ever happen to you.

To combat depression? I find no-one can do this for me except myself. Alcohol only helps you one night at a time, but can often shape your perspective on things to give you new insight--in moderation. Go for a run, listen to uplifting music, meditate, and most importantly... wait patiently.