Deinterlacing a video?

Ripcat

OK well i have a few mkv files that are interlaced out of their ass so i need some help to deinterlace my files. Any help would be fine, i just don't want to lose quality in the process.

Most of the encoders I use have the option to deinterlace the video when encoding.

If you can't find it on whatever encoder you have, try looking into the filters.

Or you can write your own.

Though if they are already .mkv someone else has probably already encoded them, so why the heck didn't they fix the interlacing? lolz. You will have to re-encode them to fix it.

Sometimes I notice the telecine filter somehow fixes interlacing better than deinterlacing does on some occasions for me so you can always check into it as well.

I personally use AutoMen to encode my stuff to either XVID or H264 files. Then if I have stuff to mux to it, such as soft-subs etc.. I do so with mkvmerge which produces the file as .mkv

In the newer version of AutoMen the option has been moved around. I use the new version and an older version (v4.6) as well because some things work better on it.

Anyways in the latest version you can find the interlacing filter by clicking the "Video" tab. You will then see "Frame Pattern".. which to me seems to be set to "Progressive" by default. Change the setting to either "Interlaced" or "Telecine" depending on what looks best for you on each video. You can usually see the difference when you click Preview.

Well ive tried many things since i last started this thread and i get ok results in the finished product but its no where near being good. So i don't know what to do but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It usually works fine for anything I've tried with it. Though anything that was interlaced that I've worked with was stuff I ripped from the DVD's myself. Though since it isn't working for you, you can probably try avidemux (Just Google it). It has a lot of filtering tools that are easy to use and one of them should be able to fix the problem.