Requesting Reviews for the Colors on My MAL

Dae314

Overall Color Rating  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What would you rate the color scheme overall?

• Awesome! The colors are picked and placed expertly!
    • Nice. Could've used some minor tweaking though.
    • Meh. The colors work, but I wouldn't say they're chosen well.
    • Um... No, I don't think the colors work very well.
    • AARG! My eyes! Are you trying to make me blind!?

Heyo! So I'm still working on the color scheme for my guide website. I was looking for a way to experiment with colors in an area that I could show to people, and I found out that MAL gives users the ability to directly edit the CSS for the list. I designed an implemented a custom theme for the anime list part (I used a background generated at pattern cooler) to test out some of the colors I was thinking of. I did also theme the manga list part of my profile, but that was done just for fun. I don't think I'm going to be using the colors in there as part of the final website theme since I'm pretty set on using a light theme. I'd like to ask you guys to tell me what you think of the color scheme (the background probably isn't what I'll be using so if you can refrain from commenting about the pattern that would be appreciated).

My Anime List Here If you'd like you can go look at what I did to the manga list also.

The poll in this thread reflects your overall view, but I'd also like you to post your views if you have the time. Specifically, what I want to know is how did the colors feel to you (like warm/cold/boring/vibrant/meh/etc.). Was there a color that really stuck out as bad? Are the links visible even when you hover your mouse over them? Is it clear that the stuff that are supposed to be links are links? Is the text in all areas easily readable? Is the outline color just right, too light, or too dark? What about the text color? You don't have to answer all the questions if you reply, but that's the kind of stuff I'm looking to know.

Well i am no expert in this field so i will be just commenting from the viewpoint of an audience. First of all what i really liked about it was the simplicity yet beautiful design and coloring. If i have to describe the color by a word then i would probably say "calm". The color and design is not too strong and not too light, it's comfortable and relaxing( at least to me) for the eyes.

Was there a color that really stuck out as bad?

Not to me, i thought the colors blent well together.

Are the links visible even when you hover your mouse over them?

They are clear enough but maybe could've been clearer. You know the links with the pinkish background was visible enough but a the ones with the yellowish backgrounds tends to get mixed up with the background. Again, this is nothing major.

Is it clear that the stuff that are supposed to be links are links?

Are they supposed to be like that? I thought that only if you hover the mouse button over a link it would reveal itself to be the link, at least that's how it goes in MAL.

Is the text in all areas easily readable?

Yes, they are perfectly readable.

Is the outline color just right, too light, or too dark?

I think it's just right, and not too light or dark.

What about the text color?

Text color is ok. The classic black looks fine for me.

Now, these are my personal thoughts. Though the color scheme and design is wonderful i just can't but think that you could've done a little better. You know, maybe a better design or a different colors. I am not saying that it's bad, trust me this is awesome, but i usually like to compare between different samples. Since there was no other sample i had to imagine different designs (mostly floral) and some of them seemed to be a little more attractive. Anyway good job making something so awesome and hope you would keep it up.