Forum Superlatives!

So tech it's like an award system. Hmm... sounds good to me of course but there is a tad downside since some things might end up to those that are popular ya know sounding like a complete popularity contest.

Still limitations I'm sure is applied like can't be nominated twice in a certain given period.

:embarrassed: Sorry if i sounded a tad clueless yakno

It's all for fun, just a way to interact with other people in the forums. It doesn't actually give anyone anything special in particular. Just another way of socializing with each other. At least that is my understanding of it. :)

Edited by Reptoholic
  • Like 1

It's all for fun, just a way to interact with other people in the forums. It doesn't actually give anyone anything special in particular. Just another way of socializing with each other. At least that is my understanding of it. :)

Agreed, this is only for funs. It is another great way to socialize with other and maybe even get the noobs to be more interactive.

In the brief time it ran before the forum went down I thought it was a great and fun idea and I still chuck my full support behind it. I also think running the event quaterly is the best way to go. Sure semi annual is great to but so much happens on this forum that things are changing monthly, I believe dragging it out longer than quaterly will have no real benefits over who will be picked/voted for each category. Also the concern about popular people getting mostly voted for the catergories is understandable but you can make catergories that suit the newer members of the forum. Here are some of my ideas for this event:

• Best Signature and Avatar combo
  • Most Silent Member
  • Gaming Geek
  • Newest Lurker

This is for fun! It doesn't actually mean anything! It's Whose Line Is It Anyway and none of the points matter.

Just because Apollo was voted to have the best dance moves or everyone says they want to buy J-Lord a drink doesn't mean we've all actually seen Apollo dance or that I'm gonna pony up twelve bucks to buy J-Lord a beer! I don't care if every time we have these, Llama wins numerous posts or Bluenoser wins longest posts or Rune eats all of the babies. That's just what they're known for and an indication I need to change up the categories because it's getting boring.

You can view it as a popularity contest if you want, but that doesn't change the fact people were happy to see they were nominated for a category--forget about winning, some people think I write long posts and have a sweet wig! Even Java was tickled when he was nominated as helpful. People were amused to see Koby suddenly shoehorned into the "intimidating" category just because he made a comment about it. lolrawr made a sweet badge with a bunch of llamas on it for numerous posts because this is a classy establishment and that "no shoes, no shirt, no service" sign means business.

Im sure that the same people won't be nominated for the same categories each time like EO has stated. Like lemming getting the most posts, me and koby to get drinks bought for us and who could forget Rune in eating a baby.... Times on these forums change rapidly, so will everyone elses votes.

You could also have some contest run Quarterly and then other run Semi annually. So some long running members can have a longer goal and still have other gigs that every one gets to join in on.Different lil achievement for different category. I have to admit, it all sounds interesting. I never knew about it before and am looking forward to it.

Guys.

Guys.

This is for fun! It doesn't actually mean anything! It's Whose Line Is It Anyway and none of the points matter.

Just because Apollo was voted to have the best dance moves or everyone says they want to buy J-Lord a drink doesn't mean we've all actually seen Apollo dance or that I'm gonna pony up twelve bucks to buy J-Lord a beer! I don't care if every time we have these, Llama wins numerous posts or Bluenoser wins longest posts or Rune eats all of the babies. That's just what they're known for and an indication I need to change up the categories because it's getting boring.

You can view it as a popularity contest if you want, but that doesn't change the fact people were happy to see they were nominated for a category--forget about winning, some people think I write long posts and have a sweet wig! Even Java was tickled when he was nominated as helpful. People were amused to see Koby suddenly shoehorned into the "intimidating" category just because he made a comment about it. lolrawr made a sweet badge with a bunch of llamas on it for numerous posts because this is a classy establishment and that "no shoes, no shirt, no service" sign means business.

You can definitely expect to have results from the threads after all the votes have been tabulated, but don't assume that Koby is going to implement a system to have these things show up in the sidebar under your avatar! It might be in bad taste to have "Baby Eater" or "The One Who Dates Criminals" under your name anyway, haha.

Speaking as one of those clear winners "longest posts" I thought the whole thing was quite amusing and a reasonable way to help encourage interation between members in the forums and raise some awareness of each other, what they are like and so forth. I happen to think it is a good idea, is one that probabably works best quarterly instead of semi-annually (because it allows for greater interactions, greater chances for different people to be voted for and for categories to start showing which works well and which do not, and so on) and I hope to see it continue. I'm old enough both in physical age AND in using computers for social interactions (I was using bbses in the 80s way back when everything was text only and the idea of a GUI world was still a far off pipe dream, when 300 baud was still taken seriously as a modem/connect speed and 1200 baud was smoking hot, hey my father actually programmed magnetic drum memory systems back in the 60s, now that was truly archaic...LOL) to have seen a lot of different venues for social interaction and ideas on them for trying to increase a sense of community in both serious and lighthearted manners and I find EO's approach here to be one of the better ones. So that's my vote for continuing this idea and making it quarterly.

EO:

I see you managed to find a way to not have to get me my award for bombastic verbose tomes afterall, all it took was secretly engeenering a crash of the system...I thought you said you didn't want to win the category, you even voted for me instead of yourself, I knew you were secrectly wanting to win the category...mwa ha ha... Now you have another chance to take away my rightful place as the biggest long winded blowhard at these forums, a position I worked hard to achieve with those increadibly wordy, overly dense tomes aka snoozefests that I call my comments, and here I thought I was finally going to get an award for all my hard work in boring everyone else to tears...darn it. You little sneak you EO...(for anyone needing it, this is clearly meant in jest, it is a followup to a comment I left EO about the win right before the crash, I suspect/hope she remembers it, I don't do comedic bits that often and it was I thought one of my better ones for this site).

Seriously EO, as I said at the top, I like this idea, think it should work quarterly, and will participate. I didn't really get to the first one because I had a lot of things going on in my offline life which kind of superceeded anything else (health issues of my own plus family problems with a parent whose health is not so good these days, between the two it made it hard to get into anything else). Next time you post it I will try again, but as I said before I will be forced to vote for myself for long posts, I think I am one of if not the most consistently long winded commentators here, I don't make a lot of posts, but when I do they do tend to be closer to essays than tweets.

• Like 1

Haha, yes, you caught me. I snuck over to Ireland or wherever our servers were and accidentally-on-purpose spilt some Mountain Dew on the machinery. It was a brilliant plan until I realised I lacked the funds to return to America.

And duly noted on adding categories fitted for newer members.

You could also have some contest run Quarterly and then other run Semi annually.

Like what? We're kind of strapped for forum events right now, haha. Actual contests that aren't graphics-based tend to be forgotten at the wayside.

You could do some smaller ones, and some more serious. IF you could account for the active time spent for each member on the site, over a given period of time, you could give an accolade for that. If you do the span over a lengthy amount of time, and the members are really active, the time spent will be huge.Kind of like they measure it on online-play of video games(shows it in days).

Other more serious ones could be Biggest Supporters: you could have one for each field by tallying. Uploader( for the one with the most active shows/links/ threads), Mods( for the moderate who spends the most time modding :)), Posts ( for the person with the most post in that given time), Graphic( for the individual who creates the most new),Donators( for the Biggest supporters). Things like this.

Others you could do by vote, like best graphics/uploader/encoder/ nicest/most strict....etc....

Also If you made a separate room for the accolades, it could get people more into it. Maybe make them more active. I may be overdoing it, but it is just a suggestion. I love this site, and would love for it to keep thriving, although my suggestion may blow something simple way out of proportion.

Ah, I see. Having awards like that would be a very different vein than these superlatives and would require actual analysis, haha. Not to mention more people working on it than little ol' me. I don't know about recognising people for donating the most money, but recognising the uploaders would be cool. They seem to be neglected and need hugs, haha.

I'll put it on the burner and see how we can work out something like that.

Ah, I see. Having awards like that would be a very different vein than these superlatives and would require actual analysis, haha. Not to mention more people working on it than little ol' me. I don't know about recognising people for donating the most money, but recognising the uploaders would be cool. They seem to be neglected and need hugs, haha.

I'll put it on the burner and see how we can work out something like that.

Yeah they were just some suggestions. I was not inferring that you show the amount each Donator attributed. I don't upload, but I have to agree it seems the uploader and the mods don't get much recognition. I figure someone could also right a script to help out with a lot of the leg work.

Edited by Reptoholic

I think you have some good ideas there Reptoholic! I would also agree with EO...that it isn't a good idea for the most donated. I wish I could be a donator, but with my family getting ready to be bigger with a child...I really just can't afford it. I can only contribute in other ways. I also can't be an up-loader, but they do need some recognition. They do a lot!

I think you have some good ideas there Reptoholic! I would also agree with EO...that it isn't a good idea for the most donated. I wish I could be a donator, but with my family getting ready to be bigger with a child...I really just can't afford it. I can only contribute in other ways. I also can't be an up-loader, but they do need some recognition. They do a lot!

I can see that. I understand where you are coming from, I just thought it might encourage some people, and acknowledge some of the ones who do.

Lol. This thread got huge!

It's a crying shame that some of the contests got way laid. I especially loved the forum pervert contests, they were really funny. But they were based mostly from interactions from the cb, with quotes being used and stuff.

What we could do is have the superlatives much more broad spectrum with a single set of normals and a smaller set of "specials" so to speak. One example of a special would be the baby eating one, or may the start a vigilante group.

Also a hall of fame thread would be pretty easy to setup and continue adding too. Nothin too fancy, just some bbq, full beer fridge and some shag carpets? And how about some lava lamps! Me loves me some lava lamps!

no likes?! BOO! lol

But yea, a much more "normal" set can be the normal ones you get, like the longest poster, best debater yada yada yada....

Another thing would be that they need to be active within the time period being voted, if ya no what I mean. Otherwise I could vote on DuLake being the "best debatee" despite him not having been on for almost 3 months... or at least the last time I checked.

PS. I always feel like a badas when I touch them.... llike I could just smite some peoples for insulting the godhood of RUNE! lol

• Like 1

Hmm. Okay. That's doable. I might add in a category or two for throwback members just in case anyone feels compelled to vote for people who haven't said a lot in a three month period. And there's always little categories like "The Lurker" and "Quietest" that will encompass our more withdrawn members to make up for their exclusion from other categories.

• Like 1

Hmm. Okay. That's doable. I might add in a category or two for throwback members just in case anyone feels compelled to vote for people who haven't said a lot in a three month period. And there's always little categories like "The Lurker" and "Quietest" that will encompass our more withdrawn members to make up for their exclusion from other categories.

The lurker sounds good, that seems to suit me a lot latley, I really need to try and get involved more but life is just to busy at the moment for me.....

Oh poo. It was such an honor to be voted best dance moves (oh yeah, and best graphics), and now it's all gone. T_T

Hold your head up high Apollo, just break a few more dance moves man and im sure you will keep that title!!