Hi There

junh1024

Hi, I'm junh1024 and i'm fron New Zealand

How did you find Kametsu?

-Referral from another forum

Whats your top 5 Anime?

-see http://myanimelist.net/animelist/junh1024

What your top 5 Video Games?

-I liek racing/rally games, NFS, CMR, though I haven't got a gfx card in my new PC, so I can't really game.

What are some of your hobbies?

-Working with (surround) audio, fixing audio, etc.

Do you do graphics? If so what graphic programs do you have?

-I used to do gfx design in High School, but I don't really do it nowdays. As usual, I use potshop.

Do you have any questions?

-Not really

Hmm, a variety of reasons.

First of all, scary animes really ain't my thing. I'm in one IRC # where they like that kinda stuff, they said "go watch gosick" so I did, they're also suggesting Mirai Nikki, which I downloaded but haven't watched.

Another one is raw-sources. At the time, I couldn't find 720p that were averaging 325mb for the video track only. So next best, I tried to find 1080p sources which were around 1GB with no OC. I found Kuro-raws, which i reencoded a few eps down to 350mb with audio, and then he gave up releasing gosick, and I did so, too. Didn't find any sensible filesizes shortly after that.

When I reencode anime, i want to be completely consistent about my sources.

Hello junh1024, welcome to Kametsu!

Ah ok. Well if you are interested then I would love to see some of your work, sadly most 720p stuff is bloated to 400+mb and I only know a couple encoders that can keep their files under that. Also, you should still try to watch it, its a pretty awesome show

You shouldn't use 'bloated' when they're not. 720p is not considered bloated till it goes over 750 MB. Until then, the sizes can vary from 200 MB to 700 MB depending on the source, how many frames, and the required crf or bit-rate needed to maintain quality in action scenes. It just all completely depends on the series at hand. Shows with a lot of dark scenes require a shit ton of bit-rate and such to keep artifacts and banding to a minimum or non-existent... which skyrockets file size (it's still not considered bloated, because bloated means excessive, in which those would not be).

It also depends on people's definitions of bloated.

Not really, because yes people can have the 'wrong' definition of bloated, but no that does not make their definition correct. Being the size it needs to be cannot equal being bloated. Just because someone sees a file at 700 MB and assumes it's bloated, doesn't make it true. In actuality the only way to truly know if a file is bloated is to look at the video itself and the encoding settings or try encoding it yourself (quality wise, not trying to starve the video). It's as simple as that.

In the past groups would encode based on exact file sizes (170MB for SD, 350 for HD), but they've since moved on to doing encodes based on quality which causes sizes to fluctuate based on source. No two episodes will require the same file size, so while one episode may have been bloated at x size, the other could be bit-rate starved at that same size despite being from the exact same series and source.

If you encode properly using CRF instead of bit-rate it'll maintain the required amount needed for the quality setting of whatever CRF you set. Most encoders use practically the same CRF for all their work, but one series may end up under 200 MB an episode and another may flucuate from 400 MB to 700 MB.

As I said, it all simply depends on the source, and you cannot accurately judge bloat based simply on looking at the file size as there are a lot of factors involved. Such as codecs used.