Ethics

lemmingllama

What exactly makes an action right? Is it that there is one moral code that we should all follow, or maybe that our actions should not be judged based on that action but just on what the action resulted in. Let me go through an example to assist in the reasoning.

So there is a village populated by humans. This village has been hit with a deadly sickness that will eventually kill those who it infects unless they are treated with a certain variety of plant. This plant is available in one place, but this place is seen as sacred by the laws of the village and no villagers are allowed to enter the place by law. We can also assume that noone besides the villagers will come to the aid of the village for fear of the infection. So one villager decides to gather the plants, disregarding the law, and thereby saving the village. Was his actions right, since it caused the village to be saved, or wrong, since he broke the law?

Well in my eyes laws are more like guide lines that where made to be amended, as there being 15 gazillion amendments in the U.S constitution alone. So I think the right ting happened there. This one guy decided to do what no other villager was willing to do, because they where to scared to do it. And now this guy faces no punishment and receives praise for braking the law and doing what needed to be done. In a sense it's like the law's not even there, even though he broke it. : ]

Well in my eyes laws are more like guide lines that where made to be amended, as there being 15 gazillion amendments in the U.S constitution alone. So I think the right ting happened there. This one guy decided to do what no other villager was willing to do, because they where to scared to do it. And now this guy faces no punishment and receives praise for braking the law and doing what needed to be done. In a sense it's like the law's not even there, even though he broke it. : ]

And yet what about a universal moral code? The laws were simply part of the scenario, but they represent a universal moral code. Just as if killing is considered wrong by all, we can assume that the going to this sacred place would be considered wrong by that universal code.

Of course, the code being universal is all a matter of whether or not you believe in a code of morals existing or not :P