MS Saga: A New Dawn

Koby

About

MS Saga: A New Dawn (named Gundam: True Odyssey in Japan) is a RPG for the PlayStation 2 console based on the popular Gundam anime series. Released in United States and Canada as MS Saga: A New Dawn, the game was designed to appeal to new fans who may be turned off by the complex and sometimes confusing existing Gundam franchise.

Story

At the peak of society, humanity created a complex machine system the Glory System (Known by all as the G System), an amazing technology which could create any machine so long as there were plans for it. However, tragedy struck soon after and an apocalypse gripped Earth.

Humanity began to rebuild society as best they could and called the apocalypse the "Great Fall". A young boy named Tristan (Trush in the original Japanese version) lives happily at an orphanage with his best friend, Fritz. But the happiness is ended when mysterious new weapons known as mobile suits lay siege on the orphanage and kill its occupants. Seeking revenge and answers, Tristan sets out to find out why his home was attacked.

Along the way, he will assemble a party of loyal allies and discover a dark conspiracy. They begin the story by obtaining a RGM-79 GM from the G System and end up battling a Zaku I from the get-go. Tristan and Fritz begin on the quest, after obtaining the RGM-79 GM and Zaku I, to avenge the loss of their orphanage and caretaker. Apparently, the killer they are looking for, whose name is Vladi Zarth, leads a group called the Dark Alliance that is trying to take over the world. They set forth on this quest and meet up with others with the same goal in mind, to kill Vladi Zarth and take down the Dark Alliance.

Gameplay

Th major focus of the game is the ability to customise their own mobile suits using parts of mecha designs from the early Universal Century Gundam anime series, Mobile Fighter G Gundam and Mobile Suit Gundam Wing. The units on offer are kept to more basic mecha whilst more powerful ones (such as the powerful Devil Gundam Corps from G Gundam) are kept as game-controlled bosses. To complete the game, players will need to find which parts and pilots combinations work best.

Battles are carried out similarly to older Final Fantasy titles, with enemies and player characters in turn-based combat. Actions use AP, which can be stored up to allow for the use of more powerful weapons or special attack.

Outside of battle, Mobile Suits can be modified by swapping parts, which also usually changes the appearance, altering coloration, which is purely cosmetic, and changing weapons and shield items. Weapons can be hand-held (rifles, sabers) or mounted (gattling guns, shoulder cannons). Certain special attacks require minimum numbers of weapons, or specific types. As an example, one could mount Master Gundam's wings on the Zeta Gundam, with shoulder armour from the Gundam Sandrock and the legs of a Dom.

Critical reaction

In general, the game has been poorly received with Japanese sales figures listing it as perhaps the poorest selling PlayStation 2 Gundam game. Existing Gundam fans have generally been responsive to the game. Bandai Japan had plans for an extensive promotional campaign as well as mentions of a sequel with possibly units from Turn A Gundam and Gundam SEED/Gundam SEED Destiny if the game sold well.

Localization changes

For the American release of the game certain changes were made. These include name changes (the main character Tristan was originally called Trush), the replacement of the theme song with an instrumental version and the addition of a full voice cast (the Japanese release used only on-screen text dialogue for the characters).

For more information visit: Wikipedia

I recently purchased this game after seeing it on Amazon. It piqued my interest, with the fact that it uses a battle system similar to older Final Fantasy games, as well as it being an RPG about Gundams. It just arrived in the mail today, so I thought I should post about the game here, and see what others think of it and if anyone has played it.

I haven't started playing it, as I've been busy working on a new project, but I will start playing it soon. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...