Random Talk.

Talena Mae

My vote:

Comic = no

Gif = yes

Justification:

Comic - ... what was that I don't even...

Gif - The sexuality of the content is rather dulled by the grotesqueness of it. I think everyone on here has made poop jokes... heck, we even have a poop thread I think.

Also when the fog and rain came today, a bird came to take shelter on my windowsill. Birds chirp REALLY loud >.<

Edited by Dae314

Well, making a poop joke and talking about poop is different from posting depictions of it. The only reason I'm ambivalent about it is because it shows the set up of him putting the candy bar in his mouth and closing the hoodie. If that wasn't there, it'd be a different story, haha.

Either way, it ain't no thang.

Birds are pretty noisy. So are my cats when they see birds. Watching Willis and Gertie hang out on the deck and try to murder local wildlife from the third floor is pretty funny, though. Mostly they just kill stray leaves and then they get leafy parts all over the sun room.

I don't know what awesome video 1 is, but I do know that the April Fools joke extended BF4 trailer was hilarious at the end. It got a lot of people too.

<- link if you're interested, but if you don't know about the dino meme in bf you probably won't get it.

So you know how my face and massive sock bun was all up in the background of this

? (I've also been on the linguist pamphlets.) Apparently they are still using the same photo of me that they took when I was at Goodfellow in 2010.

40837_10151429372116700_2073787017_n.jpg

This is from this month's Air Force Times. I'm starting to think they literally have no other photos of linguists, or there's someone in charge of this stuff who has a small shrine dedicated to me. It's funny because the article is about washouts, but I passed all of my tech school training. Suckers.

• Like 1

The pamphlet photo makes you look like a little kid... I think that's why they use it. They're trying to say "It's so easy, a child can do it!"

Which is sortof true... if you get them learning early enough, a child picks up languages so much easier than an adult... But if that's the message they should get a pic of a real child.

And also start enlisting children into the Air Force, lul.

To be fair, the 1N3 AFSC does have a notoriously high attrition rate (and a ridiculously low retention rate--they sure as hell couldn't keep me around). Still, if you wash out of one AFSC, I doubt you'd have much more luck as a linguist. Pipeline for linguists can be as long as two to three years, which means extra opportunity to fail right out of it. Like if your grades fall below something like a 90%, you get pegged as a potential washout.

When I was in DLI, I had to do extra classtime for a while because my grades for that particular unit were apparently "perilously low" (I graduated with a 90 something, can't be bothered to look for the printout they gave me). I didn't have to extra hours at Goodfellow, but the teachers would side eye you if you didn't come in to study when you're off-duty.

But it's basically because the attrition rate for linguists is awful and has been awful for a long while (I've heard statistics as high as 70% over the past decade), so they're trying to lower it by cutting out people who are at risk as soon as possible. And it's not like it's a problem unique to the military either.

It's probably one of those practicality things. Everyone says knowing a foreign language is practical, but what they don't tell you is that unless you're doing a lot of interaction with people speaking that language the practicality of the foreign language is narrowed to just a few incidents in your life. If there's no immediate benefit to learning a foreign language, and if you're likely to have forgotten all of the language you learned by the time you actually need it, why would there be any motivation to study it? There's just not enough factors that push people to learn.

I've taken many many hours of Japanese courses, but I can't even take the lowest level of placement exams for the language. Why? It's just not useful to me. The obvious remedy for that is to watch more anime. I feel like if my anime watch rate increases after I graduate, I might just invest in some software like RS to actually learn Japanese well enough that I don't need subs :P. But I'm motivating myself to do that through a system of rewards I set up since I know how to bait myself into doing things.