stop handbrake cropping video

DrumRoll

does anyone know how to stop 'Handbrake' from cropping my videos. I know its just trying to help get a good picture quality but its cutting of the sub's in One Piece so I can't read the bottomm half of every letter:(

I know its probably a simple matter to solve, but I can't be arsed to work it out for myself.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I did but it turns out that its not cropping the video, as it plasy fine on my computer. Its just when I play it on my 800x600 LCD shit-heap TV it cuts out part of the video, as though it was zoomed in.

Now I need to find out how to make the video encode smaller....like give it a black margin around the video or whatever...someone must understand what I mean:)

Basically I want to encode with Handbrake so that it will play on my TV without my TV cropping off part of the video, which in this case is making it so that I am unable to view the subtitles on One Piece. at the moment I'm watching them in dub's but i want to start watching in sub's so that I can become used to them..

I did but it turns out that its not cropping the video, as it plasy fine on my computer. Its just when I play it on my 800x600 LCD shit-heap TV it cuts out part of the video, as though it was zoomed in.

Now I need to find out how to make the video encode smaller....like give it a black margin around the video or whatever...someone must understand what I mean:)

Basically I want to encode with Handbrake so that it will play on my TV without my TV cropping off part of the video, which in this case is making it so that I am unable to view the subtitles on One Piece. at the moment I'm watching them in dub's but i want to start watching in sub's so that I can become used to them..

What are you using to play it on your TV? Sounds like something is over-scanning it.

I had this same problem when trying to stream to my xbox with ps3 media server. I don't think it's a problem with handbrake but a problem with ps3 media server instead. I also had audio sync issues as well so I really never bothered trying to figure out what the problem was.

If you're not using ps3 media server and you're not cropping the video, then I don't know what the problem could be. Sorry I can't be of more help but I just decided it would be easier to build an xbmc based media center instead.

Yeah, I use Tversity. PS3 media server converts everything and my computer is do rubbish to support that.

Anyway, Ive tried all the different display settings on my Xbox but to no avail:(

So...If its not handbrake and its not the xbox....awww this is such a bloody pain.

Is there a way to maje handbrake give videos a black margin? So that the video is shrunken down by half an inch or so?

also, whats an xmbc media thingy?

XBMC=Xbox Media Center

What I was referring to with xbmc was a Home Theater PC running XBMC as the media center software rather then using other options like windows media center. It does pretty much everything windows media center does and a whole lot more. You can also get it to run on pretty much any modern pc. It started out as being a replacement for the xbox os on modded 1st gen xboxes. Problem is you would need an extra computer you could hook up to your tv.

Have you tried streaming a video that wasn't encoded with handbrake yet? Like I said, I didn't really bother digging into the problem so it could still be handbrake. I just didn't really believe at the time it could be an encoder problem when it was displaying fine on my PC.

The reason I originally put the blame on ps3 media server is because I have an old tube based tv and it has a small border that doesn't actually show on the screen. This is the overscan I believe Koby was referring to, and is why you will see the thin black bars on the sides of some 4:3 videos. I always cut these out and a small portion of the video that also doesn't always show or appears warped when it does. I just figured that ps3 media center wasn't taking this part of the screen into consideration and was stretching the good part of video into these regions.

I was just going through the x264 settings wiki and found an overscan setting you may be able to try. I checked MeGUI's advanced settings since I don't have handbrake installed and it doesn't have it listed. I'm not really sure yet if you can just add it to the command line box if it isn't offered in handbrake either. Whether or not you can use it in handbrake would probably be a question for handbrake's forum.

You could always add it in and then use the preview option to see if it spits out an error.

• 3 weeks later...