Looking for recomendations

I'm looking for lesser known titles, unique is preferable. I like comedy best, but as long as its good, interesting, or unique I'll bite. Examples of the above would be things like baccano (though not exactly lesser known), revolutionary girl utena (very psycadelic), xxxHolic (different and unique), or spice and wolf (not very well known, but good story if a bit dry). I don't discriminate on genres, though I have my preferences, any ideas would be most welcome, and thank you for input in advance.

When I think of lesser-known titles that are unique, a few come to mind...

Elfen Lied:

Elfen Lied takes place in Kamakura, Japan, focusing on a new strain of the human race - Diclonius, similar to human beings but different at the genetic level and notable due to physical abnormalities, particularly a pair of short horn-like protrusions. One such Diclonius, Lucy, is the main character of the series: Initially held in a facility built for experimentation, located off the coast of Kamakura, Kanagawa Prefecture, she manages to escape and wreak havoc, but is injured in the process, an event which causes her to develop a secondary, child-like personality known as Nyu.

Lucy is found by two locals, Kohta, who studies at the local university, and his cousin Yuka. They take her in, and become involved with the numerous, often brutal, attempts to recapture her by a Special Assault Team and a number of other Diclonius, who shift from oblivious to murderous frequently.

Elfen Lied involves themes of social alienation, identity, prejudice, revenge, abuse, jealousy, regret and the value of humanity which is why it's so unique. If you haven't seen it, then I'd highly recommend it. Though, it does have a high amount of graphic violence and some nudity, so if you're bothered by those then I caution you. However, the story is amazing and by the end of the series, I was viewing the world differently. It's one of the shows that after watching, you never forget.

Nana:

Nana Osaki is a punk singer who wants to debut with her band, Black Stones (BLAST for short), where she is the lead vocalist and her boyfriend, Ren, is the bassist. Nana and Ren have lived together as lovers since she was 16. When Ren is offered a chance to debut in Tokyo as a replacement member of the popular band, Trapnest (Toranesu in Japanese), Nana chooses to continue on with BLAST and to cultivate her own career instead of following Ren, as she has too much ambition to simply be a rockstar's girlfriend. She eventually leaves for Tokyo at the age of twenty to start her musical career.

Nana Komatsu, the other Nana, has a habit of falling in love at first sight all the time, and depending on other people to help her. When her friends, and then her boyfriend, leave for Tokyo, she decides to join them a year later after having saved enough money at the age of twenty.

The two Nanas meet on a train by chance, both on their way to Tokyo. After a string of coincidences, they come to live together in an apartment numbered 707 (nana means "seven" in Japanese). Despite having contrasting personalities and ideals, the Nanas respect each other and become close friends.

This Ugly Yet Beautiful World:

Takeru and Ryou are high school students who work doing deliveries for the former's uncle. One night, the two go to investigate a mysterious light in the woods only to find a young girl. Takeru and Ryou are attacked by an alien, which is defeated when Takeru transforms into a powerful and strange looking beast himself. The girl, whom the boys name "Hikari" (light), is taken in by Takeru when she confesses to having no memory of who she is.

All these series I thoroughly enjoyed, and I hope you decide to check them out. They're all relatively short (with an exception to Nana), but have an amazing plot and characters. Good luck to you! I know how hard finding a new series to watch is...