help with subs

I've tried downloading shows that say they have subs, but when I try to play the episode in windows media player, it doesn't show subs. I tried turning on the sub option in the player, but still no luck. do I need to burn it to a dvd and turn on the subs there? or do I need a special program to watch it? the whole thing is, I want to eventually burn it to a dvd. PLEASE HELP!!!

Wmp will/should play the subs from a downloaded video. If your are positive that the lyrics, captions, and subtitles are set to on if available then you will probably want to make sure the video has subs and that they're in a format wmp supports. The easiest way to check is to download MediaInfo. It will popup an information box when you hover your mouse over the file in windows explorer. This will give you info about what the vid/audio codecs are and what kind of subs it has. If the subs are something like .ass you'll need a codec pack, like cccp, to see them. You'll also have to select between them from Haali Media Splitter's task bar icon if there is more then one. If you really like wmp, for some reason, then a codec pack like cccp should give wmp the added ability to play mkv files. If you're going to keep using wmp, I would try to stay away from the shark007 codec pack because it always caused issues for me with wmp.

It is a good idea of have more then one video player on your os. I always keep a minimum of three different players on my os to help trouble shoot problems like this. If you really like wmp then I would recommend XBMC. You can't select an individual file in windows explorer and have XBMC play it like wmp, but what it offers as a media center application makes up for it.