Stop xp from auto installing drivers

idl12

So I want to install the latest drivers for my nvidia card, so I uninstall it from the device manager and reboot into safe mode to run drive cleaner pro, but as soon as I reboot xp automatically reinstalls the drivers I uninstalled preventing me from installing the up to date ones, is there any way to stop this? I've alreaady turned of auto updates and selected never check f0r updates in the hardware settings.

What do you mean XP doesn't let you install the latest drivers? I remember back when I ran XP and a Geforce 9400 GT, I just downloaded the latest .exe from the nvidia website, and ran it, no problems. What exactly is going on here? Does XP pop up some sort of message saying it won't run the .exe?

I mean do a proper install, wiping the old drivers to avoid any possible conflicts with the new ones, according to the afterdawn forums, you should uninstall the drivers from the device manager, then reboot into safe mode, rundrive cleaner, reboot again then install the new drivers, unfortunately, xp seems to reinstall the old drivers as soon as I reboot.

I mean do a proper install, wiping the old drivers to avoid any possible conflicts with the new ones, according to the afterdawn forums, you should uninstall the drivers from the device manager, then reboot into safe mode, rundrive cleaner, reboot again then install the new drivers, unfortunately, xp seems to reinstall the old drivers as soon as I reboot.

iunno best I can think of is take your video card out since you wont be using it anyways but I'm not a computer expert so I don't know how that will affect anything. I watch my bf uninstall his video card drivers and reboot to install new ones no problem always every time.

Can you offer a link to the thread you are referring to?

The only way I know of to keep XP from reinstalling these drivers would be to shut the system down and remove the card itself while you install the new driver. I would not recommend doing this because it takes time and something could always go wrong while the case is open. I usually just install new drivers through windows update and have never ran into any problems with my nvidia cards.

Have you asked about this on the Afterdawn forums? I'm not trying to take away from Kametsu, but they have a download link on their site. The chances are probably higher that you would find someone more suitable to help you there or even better on drivercleaner's own forum.