Best "RPG Anime" all the time

DemonTatsuya

Best "RPG Anime" all the time   

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which RPG Anime you consider as the best?

• Sword Art Online
    • Log Horizon
    • Accel World
    • Overlord
    • Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka
    • Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
    • .hack//Sign
    • None of the above

Which RPG Anime you consider as the best?

1. Sword Art Online  

In 2022, a Virtual Reality Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (VRMMORPG) called Sword Art Online (SAO) is released. With the NerveGear, a helmet that stimulates the user's five senses via their brain, players can experience and control their in-game characters with their minds. On November 6, 10,000 players log into the SAO's mainframe cyberspace for the first time and discover that they are unable to log-out. They quickly discover from Kayaba Akihiko , the creator of SAO and NerveGear, they must reach the 100th floor of the game's castle and defeat the final boss if they wish to be free. Those who suffer in-game destruction or remove the NerveGear out-of-game will result in their real-life deaths.

2. Log Horizon

By its eleventh expansion pack, the massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) Elder Tale has become a global success, with a user base of millions of players. However, during the release of its twelfth expansion pack: Novasphere Pioneers , thirty thousand Japanese gamers who are logged on at the time of the update suddenly find themselves transported into the virtual game world and donning their in-game avatars. In the midst of the event, a socially awkward gamer named Shiroe, along with his friends, Naotsugu and Akatsuki, decide to team up so that they may face this world, which unfortunately has now become their reality, along with the challenges and obstacles ahead of them.

3. Accel World 

In 2046. Haruyuki Arita is a young boy who finds himself on the lowest social rungs of his school. Ashamed of his miserable life, Haruyuki can only cope by indulging in virtual games. But that all changes when Kuroyukihime, the most popular girl in school, introduces him to a mysterious program called Brain Burst and a virtual reality called the Accel World. 

4. Overlord

The final hour of the popular virtual reality game Yggdrasil has come. However, Momonga, a powerful wizard and master of the dark guild Ainz Ooal Gown, decides to spend his last few moments in the game as the servers begin to shut down. To his surprise, despite the clock having struck midnight, Momonga is still fully conscious as his character and, moreover, the non-player characters appear to have developed personalities of their own!

Confronted with this abnormal situation, Momonga commands his loyal servants to help him investigate and take control of this new world, with the hopes of figuring out what has caused this development and if there may be others in the same predicament.

5. Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

Commonly known as the "Dungeon," the city of Orario possesses a huge labyrinth in the underground. Its strange name attracts excitement, illusions of honor, and hopes of romance with a pretty girl. In this city of dreams and desires, new adventurer Bell Cranel has his fateful encounter with the tiny Goddess Hestia.

Thus begins the story of a boy striving to become the best adventurer and a lonely goddess searching for followers both working together to fulfill their goals.

6. Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!

After dying a laughable and pathetic death on his way back from buying a game, high school student and recluse Kazuma Satou finds himself sitting before a beautiful but obnoxious goddess named Aqua. She provides the NEET with two options: continue on to heaven or reincarnate in every gamer's dream—a real fantasy world! Choosing to start a new life, Kazuma is quickly tasked with defeating a Demon King who is terrorizing villages. But before he goes, he can choose one item of any kind to aid him in his quest, and the future hero selects Aqua. But Kazuma has made a grave mistake—Aqua is completely useless! 

Unfortunately, their troubles don't end here; it turns out that living in such a world is far different from how it plays out in a game. Instead of going on a thrilling adventure, the duo must first work to pay for their living expenses. Indeed, their misfortunes have only just begun!

7. .hack//Sign

A young wavemaster, only known by the alias of Tsukasa, wakes up in an MMORPG called The World, with slight amnesia. He does not know what he has previously done before he woke up. In The World, he is suspected to be a hacker of the Crimson Knights, as he was seen accompanying a tweaked character in the form of a cat. Unable to log out from the game, he wanders around looking for answers, avoiding the knights and other players he meets along the way.

As Tsukasa explores The World, he stumbles upon a magical item that takes the form of a "guardian," which promises him protection from all harm. Subaru, the leader of the Crimson Knights, along with several other players who became acquainted with Tsukasa, set out to investigate why Tsukasa is unable to log out, and attempt to get to the bottom of the problem before it gets out of hand.

Sword Art Online jumped around way too much and rushed/skipped over the elements that would have made it great. Then they made the main character way over powered and even gave him an ability no other character could obtain as well as basically some cheats and some deus ex machina ass-pulls. Throw in some other crap and it's just a mess.

Log Horizon could have been good, but it got lost in the politics aspect and forgot about actually making progression or taking action. Season two felt like mostly filler-fare quality.

Accel World honestly, while sharing some aspects, I feel doesn't really belong in the same category. I enjoyed the show for what it was and my only real gripe was the MC himself outside of the 'game' and the fact that it hasn't had a follow up thus far.

Overlord was good, but it did gloss over some things and it ended right as it was finally getting where it was going. Season 2 when?

DanMachi, was also a nice breather show. This actually surprised me some because given the title I expected more ecchi and lame pick up lines, but we got a nice show over all.

KonoSuba, still waiting on Blu-ray so I haven't watched it yet.

.hack//, ah the franchise that basically popularized the now cliche concept of getting stuck in a realistic game world. Even has some nice RPG games to go with it. Definitely have to give the franchise props for what it did to the genre and how long it's been around. I just wish they'd quit rehashing the same thing with each new entry and actually try to come up with something new. Anyhow .hack// is getting my vote. I'm a sucker for trend setters.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to go for Danmashi ! I just couldn't get enough of it. Hero is progressing, from "meh" to "good" but is still far from being the best and the show has a lighter/funny touch too :D.

• SAO - Anime started very good but quickly fell into a "the hero is the only capable person" plot, that was dissapointing.
  • Overlord  - It was way too slow, not showing where it was going at all in my opinion. Plus we are left with so many plotholes concerning the universe :/.
  • Log Horizon - The show was good and stayed it's course trough the two seasons. But the character weren't attaching enough. My second pick of the list !
  • Accel World - Couldn't get past a few episodes... I don't why but i wasn't attracted toi this show.
  • Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! & .hack//Sign - Never seen those before, will get to it :).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've only watched SAO and Log horizon, I got hack sitting here waiting to be watched just haven't gotten too it yet.

I liked the first season of SAO the second season was too much a copy of the first for me.

Log horizon loved the first season I couldn't stop watching it, and i'm working my way through the second season now and so far I'm pretty disappointed like mentioned above it just seems like a bunch of filler and it's not going anywhere plot wise, hopefully they get a third season on the go and really get things moving