‘Shadowhunters’ Renewed For Season 2 at Freeform

Koby

iVgzvvj.jpgFreeform has ordered a second season of fantasy drama “Shadowhunters,” based on the book series by “The Mortal Instruments” by Cassandra Clare.

The renewal was announced Monday morning during a live Q&A on Facebook with cast members. The series bowed Jan. 12 as part of the Freeform relaunch of the Disney-owned cabler formerly known as ABC Family.

Ed Decter is showrunner and exec producer of the series with McG, who directed the pilot. “Shadowhunters” stars Katherine McNamara as an 18-year-old who discovers she’s a human-angel hybrid whose job it is to hunt down demons. Matthew Daddario, Isaiah Mustafa, Alberto Rosende, Dominic Sherwood, Harry Shum Jr. and Emeraude Toubia also star.

Freeform emphasized the show’s stickiness in social media in touting its renewal. The show has logged more than 17.7 million “engagements,” per Freeform, across social media platforms and 7.5 million long-form views, making it Freeform’s No. 2 series behind “Pretty Little Liars.”

The first season wraps April 5.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I didn't watch the movie and I've never read the books so this series was the first introduction of the franchise for me. Honestly it was so-so. Definitely geared more towards girls between 12-16 though if you ask me. It had plenty wrong with it and I never was dying to see the next episode or anything... so it was more so just something to watch when I was bored. I'll probably watch season 2, but I wouldn't call myself a fan of the show and won't guarantee I'll watch season 2 all the way to completion if I do watch it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...