Alternatives for MKVCleaver

warlord8

I use MKVCleaver to batch extract audio and sub files, but recently the program has been crashing nonstop. I have the latest version, and my rig is running Windows 8.1 if that matters. The program opens fine, but when I load the mkv files, it crashes. It recovers sometimes on its own and begins to work on the process. The other issue is that sometimes the extracted files are corrupted ( or at least I think they are). The extracted files, mainly audio, fail to run or have weird play times such as 99:99. 

Is this an issue with MKVCleaver or something else? Is there a better program to use? It used to run fine at first. I tried to reinstall MKVCleaver but it didnt help.

MKVCleaver is GUI for mkvextract (part of mkvtoolnix), and it may not be compatible with all versions of it. Try using older versions mkvtoolnix as they are more likely to work (when MKVCleaver was crashing for me, changing settings to use older mkvtoolnix version helped). You don't even need to uninstall/install anything, as mkvtoolnix have portable versions available.

As for alternatives, there are several other GUIs for mkvextract or You can always use the CLI. eac3to is pretty useful comand line tool that can extract tracks from mkv files (there are some GUIs available for it as well).

16 hours ago, Hark0n said:

MKVCleaver is GUI for mkvextract (part of mkvtoolnix), and it may not be compatible with all versions of it. Try using older versions mkvtoolnix as they are more likely to work (when MKVCleaver was crashing for me, changing settings to use older mkvtoolnix version helped). You don't even need to uninstall/install anything, as mkvtoolnix have portable versions available.

As for alternatives, there are several other GUIs for mkvextract or You can always use the CLI. eac3to is pretty useful comand line tool that can extract tracks from mkv files (there are some GUIs available for it as well).

I think this might be the issue. I've updated mkvtoolnix about three times since the last time MKVcleaver was working properly. I usually install mkvtoolnix though. Do you recommend just using portable versions?

15 hours ago, warlord8 said:

I think this might be the issue. I've updated mkvtoolnix about three times since the last time MKVcleaver was working properly. I usually install mkvtoolnix though. Do you recommend just using portable versions?

I suggested using portable version, as that would allow to change mkvtoolnix version associated to MKVcleaver without installing/uninstalling anything and also might prevent similar problem to appear in the future, if installed version would change.

Anyways, just get an older version of mkvtoolnix as portable download, associate it to MKVcleaver and check if that works. If it doesn't, try checking mkvextract CLI.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hark0n said:

I suggested using portable version, as that would allow to change mkvtoolnix version associated to MKVcleaver without installing/uninstalling anything and also might prevent similar problem to appear in the future, if installed version would change.

Anyways, just get an older version of mkvtoolnix as portable download, associate it to MKVcleaver and check if that works. If it doesn't, try checking mkvextract CLI.

Yeaup, I got it to work. You were right about using an older version of mkvtoolnix. I downloaded an older version (~ 3 releases preceding the current one) of mkvtoolnix, and its working just fine. Thanks for your help.