Similar games?

Mute point

I've been trying to find something like this for awhile, with very little luck (Mostly just arguements about how a game based on an anime about playing a game should use the control interface from the anime O.o)

I am looking for an OFFLINE game that is similar in playstyle to hte .hack games. I would prefer if it were on the PC, but I am open to suggestions from all consoles.

I would also like it if there were some kind of character customization in the game (Unlike the .hack games, where you play only as predesigned main character.)

I guess that's it.. um.. Thanks in advance!

I believe the Mugen games being referred to is M.U.G.E.N which is a freeware game engine used to customize fan-made fighting games using sprites from various sources (i.e. taking the Ryu from SFII sprites and data along with sprites and data from the Simpsons arcade game to make them fight each other).

I, a devoted dotHacker I must confess, loved the gameplay system of .hack games. Many action-RPGs have similar fighting systems such as the Star Ocean series which you can find on the Playstation consoles and now even on the 360. I hear the Tales series is a great investment and I personally recommend Rogue Galaxy to anybody looking for one of the few decent action-RPGs by Level 5.

Unfortunately these games are traditional JRPGs in the sense that the characters are preset with little customizable options available. Outfits for your preset heroes may be changed or weapons and the like, but even that is stretching it.

There are two games with action-based system that come time mind, but I have not personally played either: the Fable series and Dragon Age Origins.

If only somebody would make an RPG where you create your own character, fight with Devil May Cry style gameplay, and can play online.

Wait! I forgot about one game! WHITE KNIGHT CHRONICLES for the PS3. I personally like the game and it is set up to be an online game yet can easily be played offline only. But with any suggestions I must implore you to research before you buy.

Dragon Quest origins? I think you mean Dragon age origins.. Names are somewhat close, but unrelated. Might check it out later. I've heard of some of the funny things that happen in it.

I loved Fable, and the lost chapters, but I don't have a 360, so I can't play fable 2 yet.

Going to check out the star ocean games. But I think, from the screenshots I've seen, that they are closer to the "Tales of" franchise, than to the .hack games.

Rogue galaxy looks promising. I'll have to see if I can find a copy somewhere.