"Trails in the Sky the 1st" (FC Remake) Announced for 2025 on Switch

Zemekis

Pretty huge news for most of us here, Nintendo announced today during a direct that Trails in the Sky FC will be getting a full remake on the Switch in 2025. I haven't heard about other platforms yet, but I have to assume that it'll come to PC/PlayStation as well. The announcement was mere hours ago so this is still a developing story. For now, let's gather 'round and celebrate! I find it funny that they dropped this nuke during an Indie montage. Just goes to show how niche this series is in the broader scope of things.

• Like 1

Falcom generally doesn't handle their PC ports themselves... and now that NISA gets the Japanese rights rather than CLE, the Japanese PC build doesn't exist until NISA releases their English version. But I'd say the chance of a PC version is practically guaranteed. We just didn't hear about other platforms because this was specifically announced at the Nintendo Direct.

No word yet if it's XSEED, NISA, or Falcom handling the English release. I'm not sure how the licensing works as to if XSEED would even be in question or not, but we do see in the Direct that they've showcased an English localization as dialogue and battle screens were shown in English. Maybe it's Falcom finally bringing the localization in house and/or simply utilizing the existing XSEED translation as is for their own in-house Western release? Something is up given it's already got an English loc shown off which isn't the norm for Falcom games. In any case the screenshots we've seen certainly look like XSEEDs localization.

IiCByvY.jpeg

I must say this Direct though was on fire! JRPG fans do be eating good in 2025.

Tales of Graces f also getting remastered is awesome.

Gematsu confirms NISA is not involved, yet doesn't mention whether XSEED is or not. However there's no XSEED logo anywhere to be seen either.

Rather seems to suggest Falcom actually is really handling it themselves this time and as seen above it seems to be based on XSEEDs previous localization. Curious if the game is literally just a 1:1 remake in the new engine or if it's going to have changes. Cause using XSEEDs localization would kind of suggest that all the dialogue and story bits play out identically just with new paint.

Falcom says the game is "seamless". There appears to be no loading at all when moving between the field and towns. Also confirms there's no Action Combat. Command Battles occur when striking on the field.

Website is now up with a lot more screenshots and such: https://www.falcom.co.jp/sora/

NintendoLife states that it's a "Worldwide 2025" Switch exclusive release.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/08/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-remake-is-real-and-it-looks-amazing

So this is going to be the first ever Trails game released simultaneously worldwide.

Update: A Falcom representative has clarified the following platform and publishing-related information to Gematsu:

• Platforms – “While the game has been announced for Nintendo Switch, a release on PlayStation and PC platforms is currently ‘to be determined.’ There is a possibility that it could be released on these platforms, and if that decision is made, it will be announced in a press release at a later date.”
  • Western Publisher – “At this time, the western publisher is ‘to be determined,’ which is why our company name was mentioned in the announcement. There is a possibility that we may handle distribution ourselves, but if arrangements are made with a local publisher, they would be responsible for distribution instead.”

Posted (edited)
On 8/28/2024 at 1:27 AM, Koby said:
  • Platforms – “While the game has been announced for Nintendo Switch, a release on PlayStation and PC platforms is currently ‘to be determined.’ There is a possibility that it could be released on these platforms, and if that decision is made, it will be announced in a press release at a later date.”
  • Western Publisher – “At this time, the western publisher is ‘to be determined,’ which is why our company name was mentioned in the announcement. There is a possibility that we may handle distribution ourselves, but if arrangements are made with a local publisher, they would be responsible for distribution instead.”

It's coming to other platforms. I have no proof, but I think that should be obvious. It's likely a timed exclusive, even if they don't say it that way. The initial release in 2025 will be Switch, and then others will follow later down the line. There is so much discussion online (YouTube in particular it seems) surrounding whether the game will release on other platforms. I can't say I'm terribly interested in that facet of the conversation because I have a Switch. I'm already sorted. I did hear some speculation that it's actually going to be a Switch 2 exclusive, which is the ONLY way I can imagine that this doesn't come to other platforms. It may guarantee some sales as well, if this is the standout JRPG at the launch of a new console, but that entire line of thinking is massive cope from the person who said it. Why would they announce a Switch 2 exclusive in a throwaway demo reel for the current Switch? Goofy.

I have no qualms with it being Xseed's translation/localization. I understand now that the translation isn't the most perfect thing of all time, but it's relatively woke-free and it's what I first played. Regardless of all that platform & translation talk, I'm just super excited that we're getting a full remake of TitS. How cool is that???? I've been through the game twice but I'll definitely pick this up barring any extremely unfortunate circumstances surrounding it. It's pretty funny that @Dave55811 just took the dive on the series then this happens...but hey, maybe they decided to remake it for the rest of us just to spite him. Like when you wash your car or leave your umbrella at home to make it rain. Dave took one for the team.

On 8/27/2024 at 4:40 PM, Koby said:

I must say this Direct though was on fire! JRPG fans do be eating good in 2025.

Tales of Graces f also getting remastered is awesome.

Haven't had a chance to watch yet! I'm looking forward to it and have heard good things. 3-day weekend for me so I'll be playing a lot of catch-up with game news.

Edited by Zemekis
Responding to Koby's related JRPG news comment

I feel like the platforms are entirely dependent on whether Falcom releases it themselves or gets a publisher. If they don't, then it's a good chance it stays Switch exclusive and doesn't get a dub even. Heck they've apparently never reached out to the Japanese voice actors about working on the Remake as well... and none of the promotional trailers showcased any voice work. So there's rumors going around that either they're going to use the EVO voices as-is or that the game isn't going to have voice work at all. Falcom is rather cheaping out the Remake in various ways.

Personally I think NISA will get publishing rights. I think they simply held out confirming this because of the voice actor strike that was going on and literally just yesterday came to agreements on and is now settled. If NISA gets it, we're guaranteed to get PC and PS4/PS5 ports alongside the Switch release. Maybe not simultaneously but at some point.

As for using XSEED's translation as-is... I suppose that's better than not releasing it in English at all, but I have a feeling they didn't intend for this to be the case and simply utilized it for their quick promotional material to get on the Direct. I know it'll be jarring to go with a new translation for those who've only experienced Estelle with XSEEDs translation, but she's honestly an entirely different character and I would love for Falcoms vision of her to actually be showcased and not XSEEDs made up characterization of her. Though I admit that plenty of XSEEDs quotes by Estelle have become iconic.

On 8/30/2024 at 1:28 PM, Zemekis said:

It's pretty funny that @Dave55811 just took the dive on the series then this happens...but hey, maybe they decided to remake it for the rest of us just to spite him. Like when you wash your car or leave your umbrella at home to make it rain. Dave took one for the team.

Tch.  This reminds me of DMC4:SE back in 2015; I downloaded that game, going against my wish for a physical version, but then after getting into the game I found out that there was a physical copy of the game available.  Perhaps this is a false equivalency, comparing DMC4:SE to diving into the Kiseki series, but my point is that that's just my luck in life. 🥹

Like I said, though, I'm content with what I experienced with the OG TitS.  Also, like I said, I might have the guilty pleasure of exhibiting elitism.  Newbs will come into the series with this remake of Trails FC, but I will barge in like "So?  I played the OG trilogy in its original 2D isometric format!"  Ten-to-one, I won't lambast people like that, but I won't lie that it's very tempting.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2024 at 5:59 PM, Koby said:

I have a feeling they didn't intend for this to be the case and simply utilized it for their quick promotional material to get on the Direct.

I also think that's probably the case. I haven't had a ton of time over the past few weeks for following game news, so I'm not sure if there's been any confirmation of this.