Trails in the Sky: FC

Zemekis

Judging by the site background & a number of threads here started by @Koby, I'd say this is a very Trails-positive site. Imagine my shock when I didn't find a TitS: FC thread! Of course, the discussion around the series started in the Cold Steel era and has continued since then, but I've been a militant Trails fan for some time. Thus, I have 2 friends playing through FC right now. One of which is our very own @Dave55811 who I just got off a Guilded call with minutes ago discussing his progress through FC. Having friends play through allows me to experience the game again for the first time vicariously. I loved FC, although SC may be a bit better. I like the comparative simplicity of FC. I don't want to dive too much into discussion of SC & the 3rd since that would be spoiler-heavy.

For now, I just wanted to get the discussion kicked off and invite @Dave55811 to share his progress & thoughts in this thread. Maybe we'll do a big blowout analysis once he finishes the game. For now...I'll just share a pic of Bestelle.

7UlpsyKTnfk.webp

• Thanks 1

I'm probably the oddball in that my favorite of the Sky trilogy is 3rd. Maybe it's because I like Kevin so much, or maybe it's because some of my most heartfelt and emotional impacts of the series happen there. However I won't talk about that as this is about First Chapter.

I'm caught up and awaiting Trails through Daybreak coming Summer 2024.

I actually convinced a couple other Kametsu'ians to play the series as well. Sadly they don't visit the forum much but they do hang out in the Discord. Nekone and Tatl both have made their way up to Cold Steel 2 now, but perhaps Nekone will weigh in on Sky FC here as well since he does occasionally check the forum.

Always nice to meet other Trails/Kiseki fans.

Oh, yeah; I keep forgetting that the abbreviation for the series is TitS. 😅

Anyway, Trails FC is something I started on, what, November 12th of 2023.  I bought it on GOG on the 11th, and had to download some shit so I would have specific character portraits and have voice-acting.  I was also given a GameFAQs guide that provided all the side-quests, including the hidden ones.  Dare I say this, but the GameFAQs guide is why I still haven't completed Trails FC; I'm seeking to get maximum BP (Bracer Points) and all those chapters of the Carnelia book, but it's also important to read carefully, because in this game, side-quests can be cancelled if you enter a specific location or after an event happens.  This game doesn't hold your hand like modern games do, which is to be expected since it came out in 2004, a year that was of a specific time-frame for videogames (pre-Xbox 360, pre-PS3, pre-mainstream, pre-[CURRENT YEAR], call it what you will), so the GameFAQs guide is most essential.  If you're an old-timer like me, you'd make do with needing to consult a GameFAQs guide.

But anyway, my opinion of Trails FC?  Well, it's been slow and steady.  Part of it has to do with grinding early on in the game, which is something I like doing in an RPG game, being able to strengthen my characters before tackling shit.  But, eventually, enemies will only yield 1 experience-point, so that's when it's time to move on.  But, I think I'm halfway into the game now, and I will say that it's a curious experience.  Perhaps "curious" is the right word here; I was told that Trails, or at least the series it's spun off from, is some real OG shit.  I'm experiencing something of value when I play this series....but, I'm a newcomer to the series, compared to others out there who played this game nearly twenty years ago.  I will never know of their passion and/or dedication, but the least I could do is appreciate Trails for what it offers.  I understand that Trails is still ongoing to this day, and from what I also understand, the series stands unshaken; we have companies here that have sought to corrupt the series with their "translations", but Falcom has acted against their interests, as they should....but, I'll stop there, as that could lead to a change of subject.

For better or for worse, I've developed a backlog of Trails games now.  Due to various circumstances, I was going to wrest my laurels on the original trilogy....but, with some referencing and a little help (from @Zemekis), I was able to place an order on Trails from Zero, Trails to Azure, Trails of Cold Steel I, and Trails of Cold Steel II.  They will be European copies, courtesy of Playasia, but I don't think that will be much of an issue.  Cold Steel III & IV will be available on the PS5 some time this year, and I'll be sure to get those games.

So, yeah.  I don't know.  Depending on how things go, 2024 will serve as my formal induction into the Kiseki series.  There aren't any other games, besides EDF6, that I feel hyped up about.....oh, wait; I found out that Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth is coming out next month (the 29th).  Oh, and on a personal note, committing to this series will require ripping myself from my creative outlet, which also has certain priorities, specifically a request that I decided to tackle this year.  Other than that, based on what I've read in this thread, it sounds like all I have to do is finish Trails FC and this thread will thrive, proper.  Sadly, I can't guarantee when I'll have the game finished.  Please be patient. 😅😵

Edited by Dave55811
Found out how to tag people. ^^;

Just now, Dave55811 said:

had to download some shit so I would have specific character portraits and have voice-acting.

Honestly I recommend the voice acting patch, but not the portrait mod. Sure the portraits look nicer overall from the EVO version of the game... however there is drastically less variations in them so you get far less changes of emotion when they change up during dialogue. I could be massively exaggerating these numbers but I believe with Estelle for example there is something like 100 variations in the original portraits for her and only 16 in the EVO version that the portrait mod uses.

Well, it's been slow and steady.  Part of it has to do with grinding early on in the game, which is something I like doing in an RPG game, being able to strengthen my characters before tackling shit.  But, eventually, enemies will only yield 1 experience-point, so that's when it's time to move on.

Sky as a whole feels a lot more grounded and slow and steady than the next few arcs as with any story, the stakes get bigger as the story goes on.

As for grinding, this series really kind of pushes for you not to bother grinding levels because enemies give you EXP based on your level. So even if you spend hours grinding small EXP amounts at one area... you'll continue getting less EXP in the next area to account for all that grinding you did. So essentially you're just wasting time doing it. Instead the focus should be on grinding out your quartz setup and such.

I was told that Trails, or at least the series it's spun off from, is some real OG shit.

Legend of Heroes is spun off from Dragon Slayer, which yeah started in like the mid 1980s. Kiseki/Trails is kind of a spin-off from Legend of Heroes though too as previous games before Sky aren't set in the same universe/story as everything that has came since then.

Although it is rumored that the Gardharv trilogy might end up being brought into the Kiseki canon in a later game as there are some suggested connections. Falcom still at this time denies it.

1 minute ago, Dave55811 said:

Depending on how things go, 2024 will serve as my formal induction into the Kiseki series.  There aren't any other games, besides EDF6, that I feel hyped up about.....oh, wait; I found out that Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth is coming out next month (the 29th). 

I've gotta wait on Rebirth until it comes to PC.

But 2024 for me also has Trails Through Daybreak, Visions of Mana, Persona 3 Reload, Dragon's Dogma 2, Eiyuden Chronicle, Quartet, and Metaphor ReFantazio just to name a few games and I'm sure more will be announced as the year goes on.

Very much looking forward to the Dragon Quest 3 Remake, but it's unknown if we'll get it in 2024.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Koby said:

Instead the focus should be on grinding out your quartz setup and such.

Yeah; at least the Sepith you get after fights doesn't decrease as you level up.  In fact, I'm still at Zeiss, trying to make sure I get enough BP for the Product Testing side-quest.  Along the way, I've been fighting some enemies and raking in lots of Sepith.  I swear; I could spend all day doing this, because the enemies in this region drop a lot of Sepith.  All that Sepith will be going towards stronger Orbments, though it's always tempting to exchange it for Mira, which I might consider, since there are new weapons that I want Estelle & Joshua (at least) to have.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 3:23 PM, Dave55811 said:

Yeah; at least the Sepith you get after fights doesn't decrease as you level up.  In fact, I'm still at Zeiss, trying to make sure I get enough BP for the Product Testing side-quest.  Along the way, I've been fighting some enemies and raking in lots of Sepith.  I swear; I could spend all day doing this, because the enemies in this region drop a lot of Sepith.  All that Sepith will be going towards stronger Orbments, though it's always tempting to exchange it for Mira, which I might consider, since there are new weapons that I want Estelle & Joshua (at least) to have.

The entire series has similar sepith scaling. In the last third of each game sepith becomes a non-issue. I think that's for the best, because sepith is what limits your characters' toolkit in battle. Near the end of the game when you've learned all the mechanics, it's time to let you get whatever quartz you want and build a team of your choosing. If sepith scaled like EXP, it would be difficult to try new things late-game.

I know you finished the game a day or two ago, so let's hear what you think! (Just remember to put spoiler tags on any spoilers.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zemekis said:

I know you finished the game a day or two ago, so let's hear what you think! (Just remember to put spoiler tags on any spoilers.)

Heeey; I was going to announce that I beat Trails FC.  Not you. 🤬

But yeah.  Last night, I finally beat Trails FC. ✊😀

As for what I think?  Honestly, at this point in time, there's a lot that I can't be bothered to unpack at this moment....especially the ending.  Just now, I bought Trails SC.  That should amount to something about how I'm feeling about the Trails experience thus far.  Don't know when I'll get started on it.....maybe later tonight?

But, concerning the whole "unpacking" issue stated in the previous paragraph.....if you guys have any questions about certain things concerning my experience, feel free to shout out.

Edited by Dave55811
Added the fourth paragraph.

Heeey; I was going to announce that I beat Trails FC.  Not you. 🤬

inxbdRP.gif
Sorry, you mentioned that you didn't want to double-post so I was planning to give you an 'in'.

Just now, I bought Trails SC.  That should amount to something about how I'm feeling about the Trails experience thus far.  Don't know when I'll get started on it.....maybe later tonight?

Nice. Hit me up later if you need help with modding.

if you guys have any questions about certain things concerning my experience, feel free to shout out.

Who was your favorite party member? Favorite character in general? Which enemy/boss gave you the most trouble? In brief, where do you thing the story is headed next after the revelations in the game's ending? And lastly, what's something you hope will change in future games? That could be a gameplay gripe, trope, storytelling pet peeve...I think it's fair to criticize the series just as much as it is to sing its praises. I don't want this to be a 100% circle-jerk.

Spoiler

Just 98% or so.

• Thanks 1

INCOMING

WALL OF TEXT

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

inxbdRP.gif
Sorry, you mentioned that you didn't want to double-post so I was planning to give you an 'in'

Did you just assume my gender?  Just kidding.

Who was your favorite party member?

Besides Estelle and Joshua?  That's kind of a tough one.  I will admit that Tita was fun, because she had regular attacks & Crafts that could do area-effect damage, like that Smoke Bomb.

Kloe might be the most important party-member, though, because Lichtkreis....though, I personally, I liked using Kaempfer; I like how broke that attack is, as it not only lowers enemy STR & DEF, but if they attack you, you lose 0HP...and, of course, when you hit the enemy afflicted by Sieg's strike, they take more damage.

I also liked Zin; his Aural Blast could destroy a healthy chunk of an enemy party, but otherwise he was a tough guy, perhaps what one might call a "tank" according to modern gaming jargon.

Favorite character in general?

I'm still thinking Estelle.  Although, after learning about Joshua, I've come to like him as a character much more.  I had my suspicions about him during my playthrough, but still.  Characters who are dark & mysterious have been a lifelong favorite of mine.  I never got around to fixing that.

Might NPC-types count in this question as well?  If so, I actually haven't given that one that much thought.  For now, I'm thinking Cassius.  I wonder if he's going to "drain the swamp" now that all's said and done with Trails FC.  I hate to use that phrase, because people will think I'm injecting politics into this (not just any politics, but a phrase related to the greatest evil to walk the earth, a name so traumatizing that he must be called TFG), but I couldn't think of any other description for how I interpreted his plans moving forward.

Which enemy/boss gave you the most trouble?

Probably the boss fights I got killed in.....which, if I remember correctly, would be the final match in the arena, that final fight with 2nd Lt. Lorence, and Reverie.  Granted, I didn't get killed while fighting Reverie, but the fight with Reverie expected me to adapt.  In those fights, especially the last one, you have to reposition yourself when necessary.  But, perhaps most importantly, if you didn't stock up on powerful items nor foodstuffs, you'd be as good as fucked.  Items eventually become more of a necessity, because you can just use them during your turn, whereas healing magic spends your turn until the next, and that next turn might be between an enemy's.  Concerning healing balms, there are plenty of powerful ones in the game's final stage (or dungeon, if you prefer?)....so, thank goodness for that GameFAQs guide.  As for foodstuffs, I tried to prioritize food that replenished CP, but the best I could do was Special Ice Cream, which only replenishes 25CP, not 30CP like that one other food item (I forget now)....though, Special Ice Cream replenishes, what, 1000HP?  Maybe Special Ice Cream wasn't such a bad choice....but, eventually, I ran out of Firefly Fungus.

In brief, where do you thing the story is headed next after the revelations in the game's ending? And lastly, what's something you hope will change in future games?

I can't say.  I'm assuming that Estelle will be searching for Joshua in Trails SC.  I'm just going by what the teaser showed.  Though, one time I found a screenshot showing a line-up of tanks; if a war breaks out in Trails SC, that would liven things up a bit.

As for the second question....personally, I'm hoping that Trails SC has an "auto" function in the game's dialogue.  There have been times when I thought a character finished their dialogue, but I hit the button right when they continued speaking, and I was like "D'aw, shit!".  I did read the text during the dialogue, but I felt like I was skipping over dialogue, which I've long held as a big no-no.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dave55811 said:

I'm hoping that Trails SC has an "auto" function in the game's dialogue.  There have been times when I thought a character finished their dialogue, but I hit the button right when they continued speaking, and I was like "D'aw, shit!".  I did read the text during the dialogue, but I felt like I was skipping over dialogue, which I've long held as a big no-no.

I know that the Geofront's English mods of Zero & Azure had dialogue auto-advance as a feature, but I can't recall if SC or the 3rd ever implemented that. It may be built into the games or a mod, but I can't remember if it was an option at all. Maybe Koby will swoop in and remind me. 😅

1 hour ago, Zemekis said:

I know that the Geofront's English mods of Zero & Azure had dialogue auto-advance as a feature, but I can't recall if SC or the 3rd ever implemented that. It may be built into the games or a mod, but I can't remember if it was an option at all. Maybe Koby will swoop in and remind me. 😅

I don't believe any of the Sky trilogy has it unfortunately. But every game from Zero on has it built in.

Just now, Koby said:

But every game from Zero on has it built in.

I'm not so sure about this, did you play the Geofront versions or NIS America releases of Zero/Azure? PC or Console? From what I can see in a few minutes Googling the Sky trilogy, it was never implemented like you said. I played the Geofront version of Zero, which did have auto-advance & it was great. I opted for the NIS America PS4 version of Azure, which doesn't have it. I can't say for sure whether the PC versions of the NIS releases have auto-advance, but the console version didn't.

What a mess 😅   I don't think Cold Steel I & II had it back when I played on PS3...I have no clue if the re-release added it. Steam discussions & GameFAQs forums hint towards CS I & II not having it at initial release. Nor do I know if CS III & IV have auto-advance built in since I haven't played them yet. All I know is that it was a godsend in the Geofront version of Zero. It is enough of a game-changer that I felt bad for supporting the official release when the feature was removed in Azure.

Just now, Zemekis said:

I'm not so sure about this, did you play the Geofront versions or NIS America releases of Zero/Azure? PC or Console? From what I can see in a few minutes Googling the Sky trilogy, it was never implemented like you said. I played the Geofront version of Zero, which did have auto-advance & it was great. I opted for the NIS America PS4 version of Azure, which doesn't have it. I can't say for sure whether the PC versions of the NIS releases have auto-advance, but the console version didn't.

It wasn't in the initial release of Zero by NISA, but it was patched in during one of the later updates. Update 1.4.2 specifically:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1668510/eventcomments/3725071921953377534/

O20RJkV.png

7 minutes ago, Koby said:

It wasn't in the initial release of Zero by NISA, but it was patched in during one of the later updates. Update 1.4.2 specifically:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1668510/eventcomments/3725071921953377534/

IAdKsDA.png

Veeeeeeery sneaky, NISA. Adding it to one of the two games on Steam in a patch months later. I also see NISA saying that it's coming to other platforms...that was on Twitter in late 2022. No clue if that ever happened or where Switch/PS4 patch notes are found. 

Edit: The more I look into this, it seems like the PS4 releases of Zero/Azure are the most botched. Switch got auto-advancing text....apparently the game looks better too. Dave is gonna kill me.

Edited by Zemekis

Just now, Zemekis said:

IAdKsDA.png

Veeeeeeery sneaky, NISA. Adding it to one of the two games on Steam in a patch months later. I also see NISA saying that it's coming to other platforms...that was on Twitter in late 2022. No clue if that ever happened or where Switch/PS4 patch notes are found. 

Edit: The more I look into this, it seems like the PS4 releases of Zero/Azure are the most botched. Switch got auto-advancing text....apparently the game looks better too. Dave is gonna kill me.

Oh I forgot to mention... PS4 versions of Zero & Azure are not modified from the original Falcom release. Whatever agreement NISA had with Falcom over it didn't allow them to do any of the work they put into the Switch and PC versions. So I don't think the PS4 versions even got the upgraded graphics and stuff that PH3 worked on. Essentially the PS4 versions should be treated like they don't exist as they're all around inferior versions of an entirely different build of the games. If you want a console version of Zero & Azure, definitely get the Switch version.

Ideally this series is best on PC, because it's the only platform all of the games are available on and in their best versions. Kondo has made some remarks about Falcom's desire to port Sky trilogy to modern consoles, but stated their focus is generally on making new games rather than porting their old catalogue.... and hinted at a desire to actually remake Sky trilogy at some point, alongside confirming that there is an actual remake of The Legend of Heroes: White Witch in development plans.

Just now, Koby said:

Essentially the PS4 versions should be treated like they don't exist as they're all around inferior versions.

Welp. Luckily I got to experience Geofront for Zero & I made it through Azure on PS4 without knowing there were platform differences so it didn't bother me...
But @Dave55811 just ordered Zero & Azure on PS4. I had no idea about these weirdo circumstances. I hope he can return them and get Switch versions. Sounds better in every way. At this point I feel like I'm putting words in his mouth and speaking for him so I'll get back to work (it is a work day for me, despite all my posting!) and let him chime in whenever he finds this. Then I'll have to answer for misleading him.

Spoiler

G5yeaOf.jpeg

Edited by Zemekis
changed spoiler image

Just now, Zemekis said:

Veeeeeeery sneaky, NISA. Adding it to one of the two games on Steam in a patch months later.

Azure released with it day one along with some other features Zero didn't have. PH3 then backported most or all of those features they implemented in Azure to Zero in subsequent updates.

• Sad 1

Wait a minute....I was reading through some of this thread.

Has there been a fuck-up?

5 hours ago, Zemekis said:

The more I look into this, it seems like the PS4 releases of Zero/Azure are the most botched. Switch got auto-advancing text....apparently the game looks better too.

Well now.  It sounds like I made a mistake somewhere.  I ordered Zero & Azure for PS4, and I got them yesterday.  Not only do both games lack autoplay for text, but more importantly, the Switch versions look better?  This is a shocker, because I opted for the PS4 versions since I was expecting to have "performance issues"** on the Switch versions.  That's something I've been noticing when I was playing Akiba's Trip 2: Director's Cut on Switch.  Danganronpa Decadence, which was back in 2021, had performance issues as well, mostly with Danganronpa V3.  So, I've come to the conclusion that the Switch occasionally has performance issues with anime-themed games....though, it should've been expected, because really, the Switch isn't a powerful system.  I mean, anime-themed games are small, usually taking up one digit of GB in a system's hard-drive, but when it comes down to it, the Switch is meant for Nintendo's games, and (certain) third-party games have to be downgraded for the Switch to play them.....meanwhile, anime-themed games aren't immune to performance issues on the Switch.  The PS4 is a more powerful system, but anime-themed games are pozzed because of SIE's global standards....but, I was told that the Trails games on PlayStation aren't pozzed, so I figured getting them for PS4 was appropriate.  I think I was told that the PS4 versions might have performance issues as well, but I'd be playing them on PS5, so it'd be okay....but that's just something I remember being told one night; I won't know until I experience the games.  Custom Mech Wars has performance issues and it was built for PS5; I don't know.....but, lest I get ahead of myself, it sounds like the issue at hand here is that the PS4 versions of Zero & Azure lack certain graphical details.

5 hours ago, Zemekis said:

Dave is gonna kill me.

As tempting as that is, I think I'm more likely going to be spazzing out.  Right now, I can't be assed to return Zero & Azure. 😩

5 hours ago, Koby said:

Essentially the PS4 versions should be treated like they don't exist as they're all around inferior versions of an entirely different build of the games. If you want a console version of Zero & Azure, definitely get the Switch version.

Rage.jpg

** = What I mean by "performance issues" are things like frame-rate inconsistencies.  The worst I've experienced was Danganronpa V3; if you were in a certain menu during a trial, it could get so bad that the audio would get cut up during slow-down (frame-rate drop?), and it could even inhibit button-input.  It could eventually crash the game, too.  Other than Danganronpa V3, performance issues with other anime-themed games haven't been so terrible.  As such, frame-rate inconsistencies, such as drops in frame-rate, aren't really all so bad.  It's just disappointing.

Edited by Dave55811
Added a little clarity to my asterisk detail.