The Legend of Heroes: Trails Through Daybreak (Japan 2021, Worldwide 2024; PS4, PS5, Switch, PC)

Koby

15 hours ago, Koby said:

Yeah the Yamato thing in One Piece pissed me off too. Yamato is female. Crunchyroll insists she's male. They hired a trans person to voice her... Oda came out saying Yamato is female and people started mocking him. Some of Crunchyroll staff even tweeted an image that implied Oda was a smelly old man for not letting them choose Yamatos gender.

I've been pretty busy yesterday & today but I am lurking the thread. Phoneposting real quick to say that is absolutely vile. These people are obsessed with gender & sexuality way beyond any healthy level. I hadn't heard of this...they inject their own headcanon into official products. This is why I don't give them an inch.

Edited by Zemekis
typo

On 8/3/2024 at 1:08 PM, Zemekis said:

I've been pretty busy yesterday & today but I am lurking the thread. Phoneposting real quick to say that is absolutely vile. These people are obsessed with gender & sexuality way beyond any healthy level. I hadn't heard of this...they inject their own headcanon into official products. This is why I don't give them an inch.

And that, there, is a significant problem with how us Westerners fuck up Japan's stories.  I don't know if it's thee problem, but it's quite noticeable, specifically people's fixations & obsessions and sexuality and people's needs to have their head-canons legitimized.

Also, what Koby said contains a hint about ongoing issues between us and Japan:

On 8/2/2024 at 10:00 PM, Koby said:

Oda came out saying Yamato is female and people started mocking him. Some of Crunchyroll staff even tweeted an image that implied Oda was a smelly old man for not letting them choose Yamatos gender.

To be fair, I didn't know that people at Crunchyroll came out and said that.....but, it shouldn't surprise me.  I think the thing is that a lot of these people think Japan is still "backwards".  Actually, Japan is "conservative", but I guess "conservative" and "backwards" are synonymous to people here in the West.  This is part of how Japan is subjected to a "unique prejudice", often dealt by those on the Right Side of History.....or rather, "projected", because a lot of these people come in and shit up the hobby and eventually get called out for having skeletons in their closets.  Their prejudice towards Japan and Japanese media is, so I'd like to think, based on misunderstandings and being unfamiliar with their culture.....but, I'm reminded of how a lot of accusations, specifically about how "Japanese people are pedophiles", are based on lies being perpetuated by certain news articles originating from MSM sources.  So, it's possible that most of this ignorance towards Japan is based on lies.

Considering this, and also considering how us Westerners are fucking up Kiseki's scripts, I seriously think that Japan shouldn't tolerate any of this.  There have been times in recent years when Japan would call out some of our activities, like how the voice-actors for Dragon Ball characters weren't happy with how our voice-actors were using their characters for political advertisements.  At least Japanese people on social media are calling out our actions, a recent example being this whole thing with Assassin's Creed: Shadows, other examples including how we "fix" anime characters.....but in total, it has only ever seemed to go so far.  Japanese animation studios are being bribed (as far as I'm concerned) by our companies to get them to adhere to our standards.....which has the potential to destroy that which has made anime so unique, the fact that it was foreign.  This is surely happening with how we translate Japanese games, too.

All I can say to top this all of is that Japan really needs to put their foot down when it comes to how we handle their media.

On 8/2/2024 at 5:25 PM, Koby said:

With the sub-human comment, I was referring to the same specific 3 users (Zekkn, Evangela, Mendax) on Steam forums

Reminds me of the good ol' days doing battle with Dark-Lumina and PrecisionCrab on GameFAQs and GBAtemp. Those guys would post within minutes or even seconds on anything Final Fantasy Type-0 related to hate on it. I was one of the original 4 members of that translation group, and I remember us re-naming a Chocobo to PrecisionCrab in the game's files. I'm actually kinda nostalgic about it, I bet we were all dumb teens at the time and would get along just fine now.

[As for the "I'll just play the Japanese version".... On PC there's only 2 versions: NISAs which is the English & the Japanese version....]

[As for going with Japanese version on console and then possibly back to Western version... you'd end up losing out on Save bonuses jumping around regions like that. Also does it work to play other region games without having modded the console? I'm unsure because I don't utilize consoles anymore.]

Not too worried about the PC options since they come out busted as you said. JP developers don't seem to have that sorted out yet...Square Enix games release absolutely trashed on PC pretty often too. I'm not a PC hater, btw. I never intend to get into that argument with anyone, I enjoy both PC and console. Console is for stuff I want to support & buy physically. PC is for games I don't want to buy 😅 , digital-only indies, and War Thunder.
To answer your question, PlayStation has been region-free since...PS3? I know It is from PS4 onward. I won't have any issues playing a JP copy of Daybreak. I don't care about save bonuses, that was Dave's thing. They are in the "nice to have" category for me, but supporting the release of the game I most align with is more important, personally.

I'm hoping that if we get Daybreak 2 early enough in 2025 that we could possibly be Kai / Beyond the Boundary before the end of the year as well. They tend to like to space things out by about 6 months so it's certainly possible.

That's optimistic, but perhaps reasonable given their past release cadence. I think it could happen!

On 8/2/2024 at 8:33 PM, Koby said:

The character in question about their gender is Quatre, who may actually be trans after all by Falcom's doing. I'm not sure on it.

He says he's a boy, but he won't take a spa bath with the group and when he's shown getting undressed to bathe by himself, he's got bandages around his chest like he's had breast surgery to remove them. So I'm starting to suspect Quatre was actually born female.

This strikes me as more of an Ouran High School Host Club thing where they genderbend a character or have it be the source of comedic situations. I can think of a lot of characters like this from games & anime, that aren't necessarily a commentary on the Transformer community, but rather sort of a punchline(?) The joke being that they're an excessively girly boy or a hyper-tomboyish girl and the other characters aren't sure how to react. We'll know that the character is for sure a trans stand-in when the other characters start fawning over him and saying how brave he is. Regardless of how it comes across or what the intention is, I hope they stop it. It's inviting a very dangerous conversation within the broader Kiseki fanbase.

On 8/2/2024 at 8:33 PM, Koby said:

Or perhaps Quatre was a girl and assaulted and abused by the cult and he/she/they transitioned to a boy and hid that past.

^^ I expect that this will cause quite the ruckus if it's actually the case. I see this proposed often as the reasoning for why people transition, and it's met with heavy pushback from the other side of the aisle. For Falcom to even make that insinuation is risky, and I doubt they realize it. Not saying I disagree with that take, but I suggest that they try to reseal this particular can of worms.

CLE's ports are so bad that Ys 9 got taken down for all of it's issues

Sorry for all the archive links. I particularly hate revisiting a forum years later and none of the links working. In fact, I was looking up a specific article in relation to your post and couldn't find it because GameInformer shut down the other day. I can only access it now because of an archive. You mentioning the Ys 9 port reminded me of NISA's busted Ys 8 translation, since we were on the topic of Xseed vs NISA earlier. I played through Ys 8 pre-patch. Despite being more pro-Xseed than NISA, I think the chaos surrounding the Ys 8 translation was way overblown.

NISA's botch of the initial Ys 8 is what got them to return to Durante's PH3 for all future ports, which is who XSEED used for CS 1 & 2 as well. So I'm kind of glad that fiasco happened so that we've gotten the excellent ports we've gotten since then. PH3 has also handled the Switch ports of Zero & Azure and on top of that went through the process of utilizing textures from all the various ports of the games and AI upscaling some that weren't up to the quality of others to ensure the Zero & Azure ports were the best yet. Not many companies put in that amount of effort as you see with Square Enix' barepone ports with massive shader compilation studders on practically all of their Unreal Engine based games.

As for Ys specifically, we're getting Yx X on October 24th! But I'm way behind on Ys and making my way through the older games slowly between other games so the next one I play is either 3 or 4 I don't remember off the top of my head. So yeah gonna be a while before I actually get to X and yes I'm aware they're not chronological nor do they require playing in order... it's just what I'm choosing to do.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally finished Trails Through Daybreak tonight. Final playtime was 93 hours.

I may or may not play a little more of Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance in the next couple weeks waiting for Final Fantasy XVI to release on PC, but FF16 will definitely be my next focus.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Lonewolfe187 said:

the game was eh ok thats really bout it and the dialogue and lolcowlization big fucking yikes yeah so taking a break from the series cause its just well a mess of a localization amont other things

My impressions of the game definitely went down in the last chapter or or so of the game. They advertise this game as a darker mature game but it's really not. Van continues to tell you how morally gray he is, but then does everything to showcase that he's just another gary stu. Everything is just so surface level and the monotonous game loop is tiring after 12 games repeating the same chapter scenario setup. I can certainly see why the sales in Japan have started falling off with the series. The combat here is so-so... In the end you're basically just stomping stuff with basic action combat and then S-Crafting bosses to death. By Chapter 3, that's literally all you've gotta do. Every boss goes down with a few S-Crafts. I don't think there was a single boss in the game that required me to heal because none of them stuck around long enough.

1 minute ago, Koby said:

My impressions of the game definitely went down in the last chapter or or so of the game. They advertise this game as a darker mature game but it's really not. Van continues to tell you how morally gray he is, but then does everything to showcase that he's just another gary stu. Everything is just so surface level and the monotonous game loop is tiring after 12 games repeating the same chapter scenario setup. I can certainly see why the sales in Japan have started falling off with the series. The combat here is so-so... In the end you're basically just stomping stuff with basic action combat and then S-Crafting bosses to death. By Chapter 3, that's literally all you've gotta do. Every boss goes down with a few S-Crafts. I don't think there was a single boss in the game that required me to heal because none of them stuck around long enough.

lol pandoras tower is darker and mature for a t for t game falcom games from what i play dont fall under that catagory