Days Gone Director on Skipped Sequel: 'If You Love a Game, Buy It at Full Price'

Koby

Speaking in David Jaffe's latest interview video, Days Gone director John Garvin has strong feelings on the sequel situation.

Gokvt62.jpg

"I do have an opinion on something that your audience may find of interest, and it might piss some of them off," Garvin admits. "If you love a game, buy it at fucking full price. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen gamers say ‘yeah, I got that on sale, I got it through PS Plus, whatever.’"

Garvin's argument is that by buying a game at full price, you're showing direct support for the developer — you're doing your part to maximise profit. And in the case of Days Gone, Garvin's suggesting that if more people grabbed the game at launch, Sony may have been more open to a potential sequel.

Jaffe asks how buyers would know if they love a game before they've even played it. Garvin replies: "I’m just saying, you don’t, but don’t complain if a game doesn’t get a sequel if it wasn’t supported at launch."

Garvin continues: "I think the uptick in engagement with the game is not as important as, did you buy the game at full price? Because if you did, then that’s supporting the developers directly."

Of course, it's not always that simple. The obvious truth here is that not everyone can afford to buy games on release. For many, gaming is an expensive luxury — and suggesting that these people are, in part, at fault for Days Gone's lack of a sequel is a slippery slope. We would hope that Garvin knows this, and he's just trying to make a point, but it doesn't come across particularly well.

• Like 1