The CW Is Replacing ‘Arrow’ With ‘Green Arrow And The Canaries’

Koby

The CW’s Arrow is essentially going to live on with a huge chunk of the same cast, despite being "over.”

That news comes from Arrowverse overlord Marc Guggenheim who took to Twitter to post a comic cover mock-up of “Green Arrow and the Canaries,” tagging three actresses, Kat McNamara (Mia Smoak), Katie Cassidy (Laurel Lance) and Juliana Harkavy (Dinah Drake). Aka, a new-gen Green Arrow (Mia is the daughter of Felicity and Oliver) and two Canary counterparts:

Fan theories arose, given that Mia’s character is from the future and I doubt that we’re going to see Dinah and Laurel wearing age makeup endlessly for a new series, either they have to be transported to the future, or Mia has to be dragged into the past.

This is, of course, a comic book universe, so that is not impossible at all. We are currently barreling toward Crisis on Infinite Earths, the most ambitious crossover event not just in Arrowverse history, but probably DC screen history, as we’re getting everyone from Smallville’s Tom Welling Clark Kent to Brandon Routh re-donning the suit to play Kingdom Come Superman in alternate worlds.

The end result of Crisis on Infinite Earths is anyone’s guess. The comics play it one way, but we’re clearly in a different universe here. It stands to reason that some event could happen that make the timelines line up for the Mia + Canaries series, and I think everyone pretty much expects Oliver Queen to heroically sacrifice himself when this is all said and done as a way of closing out his character and passing the bow, quite literally, to the next generation.

It’s not clear what would happen to the entire rest of the Arrowverse cast if this new show (which may not be literally called Green Arrow and the Canaries, but that’s the gist of the concept) does in fact use a chunk of the current actors. I’m thinking of characters like Diggle, Curtis, Rene and Roy. It seems possible that many of them could in fact join the new series in some form or another. And Legends of Tomorrow is always looking for new recruits, so I could see Mister Terrific or Arsenal fitting in there. Or perhaps, like Stephen Amell, many of these actors may just want to move on past this universe after being there from anywhere between 3 and 8 years.

My guess is that we will continue to see the Arrowverse change like this. They couldn’t keep adding shows forever, so the existing ones will continue to phase out or change over time or shift their casts to different shows or spin-offs. DC seems pretty open to letting this universe do whatever it wants at this point, and I wouldn’t be surprised if a few years from now we were all talking about some new Wonder Woman or Harley Quinn Arrowverse show, with The Flash or Supergirl airing their final seasons. We’ll see what happens.

• Like 1