DarkRavie

New Game: What's the Word?

What's the Word? - CURMUDGEON : Part of speech: noun  Origin: Unknown, 16th century

meaning: 1. A cranky and unpleasant figure, usually an old man --- 2. A miserly person unwilling to share

"The curmudgeon next door banged on his wall anytime he heard my footsteps."

"I don't want to be a curmudgeon, but would pick up after your dog?"

What's the Word? - MIASMA : Part of speech: noun  Origin: Ancient Greek

meaning: 1. An unpleasant atmosphere --- 2. A poisonous, gaseous or noxious cloud

"Breaking out of the miasma of poverty is no easy task."

"The miasma left behind by the sewage truck made us all cover our mouths and noses."

What's the Word? - NASCENT : Part of speech: adjective  Origin: Latin, early 17th century

meaning: 1. New and untested --- 2. Emerging or budding

"My nascent basketball skills have a lot of room for improvement."

"The nascent product hadn't yet been tested, but everyone at the company had high hopes for its future impact."

What's the Word? - BOFFO : Part of speech: adjective  Origin: American English, 20th century

meaning: 1. Wildly successful or popular --- 2. Outstanding

"The actress delivered such a boffo performance that she won an Academy Award."

"The play had a boffo final act, resulting in a standing ovation from the audience."

What's the Word? - MONDEGREEN : Part of speech: noun  Origin: English, 1950s

meaning: 1. A word or phrase that results from misheard language --- 2. A made-up lyric or line that replaces a song's real words

"Singing along with Hendrix, she belted out the mondegreen "Excuse me while I kiss this guy.""

"He raps so quickly that his fans know only mondegreens rather than the true words of his songs."

What's the Word? - HANDSEL : Part of speech: noun  Origin: Old English or Old Norse

meaning: 1. A gift given for good luck --- 2. An initial payment

"My new business partner gave me a thoughtful handsel — she framed the first dollar we'd made — on our first week working together."

"We had to pay a handsel before the landlord would reserve the apartment for us."

What's the Word? - DECIDUOUS : Part of speech: adjective  Origin: Latin. 17th century

meaning: 1. In botany, shedding leaves annually or at certain points in the growth cycle --- 2. Transitory or ephemeral

"Come winter, the beautiful deciduous forest becomes barren and dull, and we wait for regrowth in the spring."

"I didn't realize the trees in my yard were deciduous, and every fall I have to rake fallen leaves on a daily basis."

What's the Word? - HALCYON : Part of speech: adjective  Origin: Ancient Greek

meaning: 1. Calm, serene or tranquil --- 2. A time in the past marked by peace and happiness --- 3. Of or relating to the halcyon bird

"I miss the halcyon days of my childhood when I didn’t have to worry about the pressures of adult life."

"Her halcyon lifestyle may seem wonderful, but it was earned by decades of hard work and determination."