Sony & Hivemind Announces Live-Action Final Fantasy XIV TV Series

Koby

Today, Sony Pictures Television and production company Hivemind Entertainment (the company behind Netflix’s forthcoming adaptation of The Witcher and Amazon’s The Expanse) announced a partnership with Square Enix to develop a live-action Final Fantasy TV series based on the online role-playing game Final Fantasy XIV.

CHdHSj0.jpg

The live-action television series will tell an original story set in Eorzea, the world where Final Fantasy XIV is set. What the series will focus on is still under wraps, but per a press release it will explore “the struggle between magic and technology in a quest to bring peace to a land in conflict.” It’s still in the development stage—which in Hollywood means “writing, but with more meetings”—so there’s no word on who will be cast, nor is there any footage to speak of, and there won’t be for some time. Same goes for what network or streaming service you’ll find the show on, or a premiere date.

Given Hollywood’s long history of optioning and announcing video game adaptations that never actually come to fruition, there’s no guarantee that this ever actually happens, but Netflix did distribute Final Fantasy XIV: Dad of Light, a live-action show about a father and son bonding over the game, in 2017.

Also promised are all the series longtime calling cards: “magitek and beastmen, airships and chocobos” as well as “the live-action debut of Cid.” (Presumably they mean Cid Garlond from the game, although it could very well be just another Cid entirely. Final Fantasy has never been shy about introducing new Cids.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Xykan said:

This could be interesting, the first ever FInal Fantasy live action series. I have never played any MMORPG, though. 

I've never played FF11 or FF14 either. I have played some other MMORPGs though like Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst, Phantasy Star Online 2, World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King, World of Warcraft Cataclysm, etc.

Not having played FF14 and knowing nothing of the story, doesn't make me very interested in this live action show though. I'd have rather seen a live-action show developed off of Final Fantasy 8, which feels like it would mostly work fine in live-action.