'Ni no Kuni' Game Franchise Gets Anime Movie

Koby

nVSOEku.jpgA press release was held on Saturday which announced an anime movie adaptation of the Ni no Kuni game franchise. The movie will premiere in Japanese theaters this summer. Kento Yamazaki (Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan live action) will voice the main character Yuu.

Synopsis

High schooler Yuu and his friend Haru get involved in a case involving his childhood friend Kotona, which forces them to go back and forth between another world that is different but is somewhat similar to their world, Ni no Kuni. The real world and Ni no Kuni, when Kotona's life is in danger, what's the ultimate choice the three of them have to make in Ni no Kuni?

Staff

• Executive Producer, Original Plan, Script: Akihiro Hino (Inazuma Eleven)
  • Director: Yoshiyuki Momose (Mimi wo Sumaseba)
  • Music: Joe Hisashi (Kaguya-hime no Monogatari)
  • Studio: OLM

Ni no Kuni is a game series released by Level-5 in a collaboration with Studio Ghibli. The first game, Shikkoku no Madoushi, was released on Nintendo DS in December 2010. The game was later released under the title Shiroki Seihai no Jouou on PlayStation 3 in November 2011. The sequel Revenant Kingdom was released on PlayStation 4 in March 2018. Cellphone game versions were also released in 2010 and 2012.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Brw2kx said:

I have yet to play either ni no kuni. This announcement is finally gonna force me to play it 😁

I haven't played any of them either, although the latest game did pique my interest some. Seems a little bit like a Ys-styled game, only with more of a CG-anime-style aesthetic. The movie may be good and certainly something I'll check out, but unfortunately these types of things tend to be little more than advertisement for the games in most cases and often don't really stand on their own, or end up being bad retellings of the games plot with several unexplained changes. So I'm hoping it's more like the Resident Evil anime movies, in that it's a story that adds to the game canon rather than just attempts to be a poor recap or advertisement.