Disney Looking to Revisit ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’

Koby

be7E9tX.jpgIn 1993, the Tim Burton-produced The Nightmare Before Christmas opened just before Halloween and quietly ran just through the first weekend of December. It performed well, but by no means was a massive success story.

Directed by Henry Selick, the stop-motion animated film featured the voice of Fright Night‘s Chris Sarandon as Jack Skellington, king of Halloween Town, who discovers Christmas Town, but his attempts to bring Christmas to his home causes confusion.

Nightmare has since become a pop culture phenomenon with Disney celebrating the film with several re-releases, a massive array of products, and even a dark ride at Disney Land (every year, they redress “Haunted Mansion” with that of characters and scenes from the film). It’s actually kind of surprising that a sequel has yet to come into fruition.

There are reports that there’s talk at Disney to “do something with Nightmare Before Christmas – probably a sequel but live-action possible.” Excuse me while I do a double take.

Disney has been digging deep into their toy chest with “live-action” remakes of Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Aladdin and Dumbo, the latter which once again has them romancing with Tim Burton. It’s not at all surprising to hear that Nightmare is one title they’re discussing, although it probably makes more sense to revisit the title with animation as opposed to doing it faux live-action (like Lion King). The Mouse won’t leave money on the table, so I expect more on this in the coming months.

What do you think? Would you like a sequel? A reboot? “Live-action”? One of the above?

19 minutes ago, DeathTheKid said:

No, they need to stop. I dont think a sequel, prequel, or a live action would do the original film any justice.

I think the inclusion of the show in Kingdom Hearts has gotten a lot of buzz over the years and honestly I love the original film. I think a live-action would be terrible, and while I'm not usually a fan of stop-motion, I very much enjoyed the original. However I'd be perfectly fine with animation matching that of the HalloweenTown world in Kingdom Hearts. However like you said, chances are it'd just ruin the nostalgia for the show more than add to it. So I'm definitely on the fence in that I'd love more, but I'm afraid of what we'll get.