Why are main characters intentionally dense?

toonami335

I've seen this cliche over and over again and I'm tried of it. The main character is designed extremely dense and stupid. He(mostly)/She doesn't seem to get what the audience gets. Hell, even the main character's friends can understand what is plainly in sight but the main character just doesn't seem to make a connection that's sitting right in front of him.

Why do we have to deal with this? Why hasn't this cliche died off already?

It makes me feel stupid just watching it.

• 2 weeks later...

Often it's because the protagonist is designed to be an audience stand-in, and the show is attempting to cater to the lowest common denominator. This means the protag is supposed to come across as usually as clueless as the writing staff expects the audience to be, so that it's like the audience is discovering the world instead of being thrust into one where the rules are already made clear.

10 hours ago, PhoenixPress said:

Often it's because the protagonist is designed to be an audience stand-in, and the show is attempting to cater to the lowest common denominator. This means the protag is supposed to come across as usually as clueless as the writing staff expects the audience to be, so that it's like the audience is discovering the world instead of being thrust into one where the rules are already made clear.

What about cases where something is made apparent to the audience and everyone around except the protag. That's what I feel stupid watching.

Like, everyone gets it; why can't you?

Do you have a brain? I need to open up your skull and take a look cause I'm having doubts.

Edited by toonami335