Wifi problem

blackblades

So I've been playing payday 2 and been having a desync issue. So on ps4 pro network says 70% signal of 5ghz but when I reboot my router it shows 100% 2.4ghz and the game works fine. Also to note, my phone is always 100% and my nvidia shield shows a few bars missing. So is my wifi messed and is there some way to fixing the signal issue and keep the band at 2.4ghz instead of 5ghz.

34 minutes ago, blackblades said:

So I've been playing payday 2 and been having a desync issue. So on ps4 pro network says 70% signal of 5ghz but when I reboot my router it shows 100% 2.4ghz and the game works fine. Also to note, my phone is always 100% and my nvidia shield shows a few bars missing. So is my wifi messed and is there some way to fixing the signal issue and keep the band at 2.4ghz instead of 5ghz.

You could turn off the 5Ghz wifi channel if you can play alright on the 2.4Ghz.

2.4Ghz will give you distance/stability but at a capped speed of around ~45mbps

5Ghz will give you the fastest speed possible (internet dependant) but has a shorter range.

1 hour ago, Moodkiller said:

You could turn off the 5Ghz wifi channel if you can play alright on the 2.4Ghz.

2.4Ghz will give you distance/stability but at a capped speed of around ~45mbps

5Ghz will give you the fastest speed possible (internet dependant) but has a shorter range.

How you suppose to do that? Still it's weird that it changes when rebooting the router box on ps4 then later change back. If 5ghz suppose to be better then why is it at 70% then 100% on 2.4ghz.

2 hours ago, blackblades said:

How you suppose to do that? Still it's weird that it changes when rebooting the router box on ps4 then later change back. If 5ghz suppose to be better then why is it at 70% then 100% on 2.4ghz.

Do you know what modem router you have (brand and model)? Either there will be a dedicated button on the device its self to switch off the 5Ghz radio. Alternatively, you will need to log into the device (by entering 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 or 10.0.0.1 into a browsers URL bar) and turn off the 5Ghz radio in there - normally located under "Wireless" or "Wifi" sections.

When ever you reboot it, your devices will latch on to the first wifi network that becomes available, regardless of speeds (this is also very dependant on the model of modem router). Remember I mentioned before and what you quoted, "5Ghz ... has a shorter range", hence why it's at 70%. Runs off a higher frequency so it gets filtered out a lot easier than the 2.4Ghz.

• Like 1

Do you know what modem router you have (brand and model)? Either there will be a dedicated button on the device its self to switch off the 5Ghz radio. Alternatively, you will need to log into the device (by entering 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 or 10.0.0.1 into a browsers URL bar) and turn off the 5Ghz radio in there - normally located under "Wireless" or "Wifi" sections.

When ever you reboot it, your devices will latch on to the first wifi network that becomes available, regardless of speeds (this is also very dependant on the model of modem router). Remember I mentioned before and what you quoted, "5Ghz ... has a shorter range", hence why it's at 70%. Runs off a higher frequency so it gets filtered out a lot easier than the 2.4Ghz.

Ok thanks, is there away to personalize it. For my devices to use 2.4ghz and my computer for 5ghz.

33 minutes ago, blackblades said:

Ok thanks, is there away to personalize it. For my devices to use 2.4ghz and my computer for 5ghz.

You're welcome. The easiest way would be to only connect that device to the specific radio you want. If I were you, I would change the wifi password to something different (so that all devices already connect get booted off the network), and then on the devices you want connected to 5Ghz, connect them to that wifi, and the rest sign into the 2.4Ghz option. If the device only sees 2.4Ghz, then you'll be unable to sign into the 5Ghz as its not supported on that device.

• Thanks 1

You're welcome. The easiest way would be to only connect that device to the specific radio you want. If I were you, I would change the wifi password to something different (so that all devices already connect get booted off the network), and then on the devices you want connected to 5Ghz, connect them to that wifi, and the rest sign into the 2.4Ghz option. If the device only sees 2.4Ghz, then you'll be unable to sign into the 5Ghz as its not supported on that device.

Thanks again

15 minutes ago, blackblades said:

-_- just found the option on ps4 to swap it. What a waste of time, hopefully the nvidia as the option as well.

You'll run into the same issue if/when the modem reboot (I.e it will either connect to the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz). Though judging by your comment and the time frame, I'm assuming you reset the wifi password, so you should not have connected it back to the 5Ghz??

14 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

You'll run into the same issue if/when the modem reboot (I.e it will either connect to the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz). Though judging by your comment and the time frame, I'm assuming you reset the wifi password, so you should not have connected it back to the 5Ghz??

Oh no I didn't reset, when I was going to on computer I kinda gave up. So I had found the hidden option on ps4 to swap it to 2.4ghz.

On 12/24/2017 at 11:49 AM, blackblades said:

Oh no I didn't reset, when I was going to on computer I kinda gave up. So I had found the hidden option on ps4 to swap it to 2.4ghz.

You speak of this hidden option? Does the ps4 have the ability to choose which radio to connect to (like a preferred option)? Or did you just connect to the 2.4Ghz network?

P.s I don't own any consoles, so I don't know any of the software workings. Also PC master race \o/

17 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

You speak of this hidden option? Does the ps4 have the ability to choose which radio to connect to (like a preferred option)? Or did you just connect to the 2.4Ghz network?

P.s I don't own any consoles, so I don't know any of the software workings. Also PC master race \o/

I found the option on ps4 pro to switch between the 5Ghz and 2.4ghz. I tried looking on nvidia shield tv for the option but it doesn't. So for me to watch 4k content via streaming I have to use wired which I have to drag a cable from one room to another. Amazon has issues playing uhd wirelessly like netflix for some reason.

1 hour ago, blackblades said:

I found the option on ps4 pro to switch between the 5Ghz and 2.4ghz. I tried looking on nvidia shield tv for the option but it doesn't. So for me to watch 4k content via streaming I have to use wired which I have to drag a cable from one room to another. Amazon has issues playing uhd wirelessly like netflix for some reason.

Ah I see. Hmm, and what if with the Shield you just connect it to the 5Ghz only?? 70% strength is still pretty good and should be more than enough for 4K streaming

On 12/25/2017 at 7:48 PM, Moodkiller said:

Ah I see. Hmm, and what if with the Shield you just connect it to the 5Ghz only?? 70% strength is still pretty good and should be more than enough for 4K streaming

Na I tried, it stayed at 4k for few seconds then went back to 1080p then it kept going up and down forcing me to do wired.

Also to note about the ps4 is that it has a auto mode as well. I think I might just go to that.

Edited by blackblades