Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (PS4/Vita/PC) (09/12/17)

Tanis

Ys_VIII_Lacrimosa_of_DANA_cover.jpg

"Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (イースVIII -Lacrimosa of DANA-) is an action role-playing game developed by the Japanese company Nihon Falcom and will be released for the PS Vita on July 21, 2016. The game will be released for the PS4 in 2017."

Finished playing the demo, it includes 2 mini bosses.

First thoughts?
Yep...it's a modern Ys game. 3rd Person and all that jazz.

The OST is fantastic, the game play is solid, and the graphics...

The graphics I'm tad mixed on, the game was originally made in 2015/2016.
On the one hand, the series has never been about being on the 'bleeding edge', they've been more about running smoothly all the time verse some of the time with shinny graphics.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with them.
They're smooth, colorful as hell (which is great for HD...fuck that brown-grey crap many games focus on), but they just feel less 'PS4' and more 'high end PS3'.

The game looks closer to FF12's remake instead of, say, Persona 5.

Still given how MASSIVE the world is suppose to be, maybe that's the trade off.

So...as long as you aren't a graphics whore counting pixels...it looks like Ys 8 is going to be another great addition to the PS4 library.
-Not sure how the Steam/GOG version is going to run given how shitty my computer is as of late.

Edited by Tanis

IT'S OUT! IT'S FUN. IT'S THE NEXT GENERATION FOR Ys!

The music is really amazing, I can't wait for the full OST to drop.

The game play is solid and requires a bit of thinking.

The mini bosses are fun, with enjoy variety to justify their pop.

New comers should enjoy the new graphical style, you don't actually NEED to have played any of the previous games to 'get it'.

Old comers should enjoy the evolution of the series, it's still the game series you love...just a bit more modern.

The 'building a settlement' aspect is pretty cool and kind of reminds me of Dark Cloud 2, plus the character heavy drama is nice.

My only, major, issue is the DLC.
While not NEEDED to play the game, it does suck that there's several 'add-ons' that basically function as 'if you're lazy and you know, pay us to wrek dis gaem.'

Never really been a fan of DLC that doesn't add anything, it's like the 'pay to have all collectables found' crap from Assassin's Creed. Seems like a shitty way to cheat.