Best free antivirus?

tbbttbbt

9 hours ago, EccentricOne said:

The irony is CCleaner is currently in the middle of a malware scandal. Go look it up, its said millions of computers got infected by it

Glad I don't use that

CCleaner is still a legitimate maintenance tool that is used by many. The software itself is not malware; they were hacked.

• Like 1

The irony is that CCleaner is not an antivirus programme.

As NH just mentioned, - it's a maintenance tool.

TL;DR version here: https://www.techpowerup.com/237111/piriform-hacked-ccleaner-august-versions-v5-33-6162-injected-compromised

"Specifically, hackers embedded remote administration tools on CCleaner v5.33.6162 and CCleaner Cloud v1.07.3191, tools that then tried to connect to several unregistered web pages, looking to download additional unauthorized programs...The nature of the attack code suggests that the hacker won access to a machine used to create CCleaner, Talos researcher Craig Williams said."

3 hours ago, EccentricOne said:

Yeah I know, I misspoke. 

Given it got recommended in the thread I thought it was appropriate to at least warn people about the malware thing. Seems to be resolved now, can only hope they don't let it happen again

There's nothing to warn. Piriform had already fixed the hack so, any future downloads would have been safe.