Japanese to Engliish translation in anime

Redphin

I've noticed in some anime that whether it's in the opening theme or in the episode itself sometimes there is some English mixed in. Usually it's just a word or two and it's sporadic. It's something I've been curious about. I don't know much about the Japanese language so the only thing I can think of is that maybe the English words that get used just don't have a Japanese translation but that's just a guess on my part. The only problem I see with that is that sometimes the words seem to be common words. For example, I just finished watching Golden Time (which I thoroughly enjoyed for anyone who's interested) and the last line of the OP for episodes 13-24 in English is "World's End of Love" and the Japenese is "ai no World's End". Those are pretty common words for there to not be a Japanese translation for them. Could anyone tell me why English words are sometimes used in some anime?

Because the japanese like english (some animes have an all english op/ed - mushishi (both ops), gokukoku no brynhildr (op 2) SnK (a couple osts), tokyo ghoul (ost - glassy sky), parasyte (most of the op is eng) are some off the top of my head).

Additionally, some words are inherited from other languages they don't have. So it's often a combo of both really.

I'm no expert either on Japanese language, but I figured it's the same way that in English we have loan words or phrases from other languages among other reasons. For example, you'll hear occasionally "Capisce?" instead of "Got it?" Or "faux pas" for when somebody makes a slip up. Or even "Sayonara" instead of "Goodbye." Of course they're occasionally horribly mispronounced, but I think in Japanese they've adopted English words for the same reason foreign words have become loan words or phrases in English. Another big reason I think the Japanese use English words a lot is because English is considered a global "bridge language" that's used in most international applications. [x] English being a bridge language for many countries ties into why many high schools in Japan require it and I've heard that many businesses will mandate their employees go to English classes or require it for certain jobs. For why they'd use in anime or other pop cultrual settings my best guess it it's for their uniqueness and since high schoolers and up have already been introduced to them in one way or another so they use them. Anyway, that's my take on it.