Internet Privacy Bill

Dab is a Cunt

The privacy protections created by previous head of FCC have been removed because corporate lobbyists bought out republicans like this piece of trash, and polititions 60-80+ years old who think anonymity = terrorism.

If you visit a site protected by HTTPS, ISPs will still know what sites you've been on, but not what you've beel looking at within the site. A VPN is strongly reccomended. (Link to questionaire for which VPN's take your privacy seriously)

Advertisers can buy your internet history. I don't know if subscribers names and information will be tied to it but if so, I don't doubt the copyright industry will get use this to their advantage.

list of those who voted against your liberty.  Let people know of this betrayal so they won't re-elect these crooked people.

A bunch of people are discussing this currently on reddit.com/r/technology and what can be done about it. Donating to eff.org and/or ACLU could help.

Also, in a recent federal court ruling in florida, DMCA doesn't shield cloudflare from anti-sharing injunctions. I don't know if this sets a standard for the entire country; if this site uses Cloudflare or doesn't use HTTPS it might be in trouble. (source)

The modern day book burning of the file-sharing sites (the next version of the library) continues :'(

Edited by EmptyBasket
  • Like 1

You realize the bill it's undoing has only been around since 2015 right? So if we were "fucked" in the years before that then ya, I guess we're "fucked". It's still going to be illegal to "sell" personal info (Names, address, Phone #, SSN, Bank Info ect.), it only affects your "interest history" that can be used to target ads at you. If you search something on a sales site, you might see an ad for that product on other pages. The biggest "problem" this revoking does is abolishes "net neutrality", which forced ISPs to show no discrimination in connection speeds to any sites. So theoretically, they could now make your connection to say Kametsu slower than a connection to Youtube or Facebook. I personally never experienced slower connections depending on the site pre 2015, but if you did you might again I guess.

• Like 1

Net neutrality was gutted along with it?! fuck sakes.

3 minutes ago, DarkGanta said:

It's still going to be illegal to "sell" personal info (Names, address, Phone #, SSN, Bank Info ect.), it only affects your "interest history" that can be used to target ads at you.

I hope you're right about that. I didn't read the bill myself. Just years of fatigue over this war against onine privacy & the open internet leading to generalized assumptions. If one bill/agreement dies, it usually comes back with similar text (ACTA, SOPA, PIPA).

I'm cautious of the day when the copyright industry can create Ad companies or private companies to funnel information.

I found this article that explains everything pretty well about net neutrality if anyone's interested. http://broadbandnow.com/report/net-neutrality-matter/

Essentially, supporters believe the net is a utility service that needs to be regulated as with pricing interventions in cases of monopolies and made to be a flat service rather than putting unfair limitations on consumers (like data caps or throttling). The opposition says that it should be treated as a service of free market where ideally competition would work out all the problems customers have with certain companies policies (like data caps or throttling). Both are somewhat fair views, but considering that most of the US broadband infrastructure is still underdeveloped and areas are heavily monopolized due to high costs to provide (rural areas cost a lot to provide service to and have little benefits at a set rate) I'd have to say as a consumer that Neutrality is better. If we had the ability to offer everyone any ISP they wanted regardless of area of residence, then ya it'd make sense to leave it to the free market, regulation free.

10 hours ago, DabDeity710 said:

Yep neutrality's gone too because republicunts think it's synonymous with terrorism

Um, I think it has more to do with money grubbing companies wanting to enforce data caps and sell advertising info.

• Like 1