Defiance (SyFy TV Series)

Koby

39-s3_en-slide.jpg

Defiance is the story of a ravaged planet Earth thirty-five years in the future, the lives of its citizens permanently altered following the sudden arrival of seven alien races. In this unknown and unpredictable landscape, the diverse, newly-formed civilization of humans and aliens must learn to co-exist peacefully.

Following the events of last season's cliffhanger finale, the series' two-hour Season 3 premiere opens on the eve of an impending military siege - and the surprise arrival of the mysterious and nearly extinct Omec, an alien race of warriors. The new season features cast additions Lee Tergesen (The Americans) as military leader General Rahm Tak, Nichole Galicia (Django Unchained) as Kindzi and Conrad Coates (The Strain) as her father, T'evgin. Returning cast includes Grant Bowler, Julie Benz, Stephanie Leonidas, Tony Curran, Jaime Murray, Graham Greene and Jesse Rath. Kevin Murphy (Desperate Housewives, Caprica) resumes his role as executive producer and showrunner.

I don't know why but every time I go to post something about a TV series I can't find an existing thread for it despite knowing at some point we had discussed the show. In the past few years I've had to re-create many topics that should have already existed, this one included. Why threads just seem to vanish is beyond me. :/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Syfy's 'Defiance' Canceled After Three Seasons
The futuristic drama, from showrunner Kevin Murphy and starring Grant Bowler and Julie Benz, ended its third season Aug. 28 with 1.17 million total viewers after notching a string of series lows. The overall third-season average of 1.12 million total viewers is down a far cry from both its freshman and sophomore runs. At the time of its debut, Defiance was Syfy's second-largest series premiere in network history and was a proven performer on Monday nights among adults under 50.

Syfy and UCP parent NBCUniversal made a historic $100 million gamble on Defiance when it debuted in 2013 as the first TV series and video game to launch in tandem. The experiment created the most expensive series in the cable network's history at the time with an equally pricey massively multiplayer online video game. The series needed both viewers and gamers to invest time in both in order to justify the franchise's future.  

Defiance was a truly groundbreaking series, delivering an immersive, cross-platform experience that transcended the television screen in a way that viewers had never seen before," the network said in a statement. "We are incredibly proud of the work of the extraordinary cast, writers, artists and designers – and especially showrunner Kevin Murphy – who together brought the rich world of Defiance to life over its three-season arc.”

The decision to drop Defiance comes days after the cabler axed Dominion after two seasons. The latter was part of the first wave of new orders to come after Syfy renewed its focus on science-fiction fare.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...