Gamer Gate & Game journalism, or lack thereof

badman

I didn't write this, but i think many of these points make actual sense without generalizing groups too much.

I think its definitely worth reading (at least the first part, i haven't got any farther yet myself).

I'd like to encourage a discussion too.

Edited by BadmanEncodes

TL;DR

The foundation of the GG 'movement' is one of xenophobia ans sexism, and it keeps on going and going and going.

They did donate $70,000 to help young women pursue careers in the game industry, and a majority of the sexist acts attributed to them were perpetrated by anons.

I don't dislike GamerGate, but i'll cant honestly support them. To most people "I support GamerGate" = "I am an asshole". I do agree that game journalism needs reform though

I doubt they are totally innocent, but i they are certainly not the Anti-Feminism Legion of Doom that the media has made them out to be.

Also feel free to correct me, but link to a source for reference

Edited by BadmanEncodes

I will say that Anita Sarkeesian is full of shit.

EVERYONE thinks that at this point...

The problem is, the GG crowed has turned her into a damn near untouchable figure thanks to all the death and rape threats.

Tell me about it.

You'd think she was getting stoned to death in Pakistan if you listening to the mainstream media.

If nothing else, the reputation of the "gaming press" has been premanenelty compromised and will never recover. And that alone made the whole thing worth it.