My favorite Anime Shows Got Ruined! WARNING: Petty!

Faerie Ixi

Ok, so I used to enjoy the series Kuroshitsuji and Hamtaro. That is until somebody labeled them as " cartoons" or " Japanese cartoons". I haven't watched these shows in weeks which sucks because I really enjoyed them. This is like labeling the new animal at the zoo a deer rodent. It can't happen. I'm not sure if Japanese cartoons exist, but if they do, Hamtaro and Kuroshitsuji are not one of them.

Well if you are so conscientious of the comments from other people the best you do is stop watching anime, because there will always be someone who will call the series childish and that they are no more than cartoons, that is the reality of the people who form their opinions without being informed.

Edited by DoomGuard

You can't be so silly as to stop watching anime all together just because a few people said they are childish... You seriously didn't know by now that 90% of America/Canada thinks all Japanese anime are cartoons and childish? People are ignorant about MANY things not just Japanese anime and you will run into this a LOT in your life so man up and watch what ever you like and not let anyone stop you from watching it. You like what ever you want, nobody can tell you different.

They never said anime is childish. They just said they were cartoons. I don't think they called them that to try and say they are childish since most people associate cartoon = childish. Family Guy is supposed to be an adult" American cartoon and its very childish. But I guess the fact that all anime are cartoons and not all cartoons are anime wont be altered just because I don't like it.

But I guess the fact that all anime are cartoons and not all cartoons are anime wont be altered just because I don't like it.

Actually, a cartoon is an animated show created in North America, whereas an anime is an animated show created in Japan. This is why Avatar : The Last Airbender is a cartoon and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is an anime, even though Avatar's draw style is closer to an anime and PSG is drawn similarly to a cartoon. Still, in general they have different draw styles and ways of approaching issues, as well as different cultures.

Either way, if you enjoy the series then you shouldn't stop watching it just because someone improperly categorized it. Whats good is good

Actually, anime ARE a subset of cartoons. They are not disjoint. A " cartoon " can refer to ANYTHING animated. It does NOT refer to animation from a specific country. So they did NOT improperly categorize it. Anims ARE cartoons, just a very different style of cartoons. This is a fact and not up for debate.anime ARE cartoons. That's the bottom line. Read here if you want the truth: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=596803

A cartoon is a form of two-dimensional illustrated visual art. While the specific definition has changed over time, modern usage refers to a typically non-realistic or semi-realistic drawing or painting intended for satire, caricature, or humor, or to the artistic style of such works.

Because of the stylistic similarities between comic strips and early animated movies, "cartoon" came to refer to animation, and the word "cartoon" is currently used to refer to both animated cartoons and gag cartoons. While "animation" designates any style of illustrated images seen in rapid succession to give the impression of movement, the word "cartoon" is most often used in reference to TV programs and short films for children featuring anthropomorphized animals, superheroes, the adventures of child protagonists and related genres.

Anime (Japanese: アニメ?, [a.ni.me] (13px-Speaker_Icon.svg.png listen); English 11px-Speakerlink-new.svg.pngi/ˈænɨmeɪ/) are Japanese animated productions featuring hand-drawn or computer animation. The word is the abbreviated pronunciation of "animation" in Japanese, where this term references all animation,[1] but in English, the term is defined as a Japanese-disseminated animation style often characterized by colorful graphics, vibrant characters and fantastic themes.

English-language dictionaries define anime as "a Japanese style of motion-picture animation" or as "a style of animation developed in Japan".

Just posting some things from Wikipedia to argue. For the first block of text, cartoons are said to be primarily humorous. However, many anime are not humorous, or even coming close to humor. Things such as hentai are still part of anime, and those typically do not contain satire or humor. Of course, a proof by contradiction probably wont be enough for you, so let me move on.

Next up in the second block of text is another description of cartoons where it shows that cartoons in the 19th and 20th century were seen as all animation by the general public of North America. However, there are many types of animation that are not part of cartoons, such as claymation or CG. As I said in my previous post, it is mainly the drawing style, or the lack of drawing, that can differentiate these. Since anime has a vastly different drawing style from cartoons, it should be a different category under the blanket term "animation". A second point in that block of text is that cartoons are for children. Again using hentai as an example, not all anime is for children. As such, this is another contradiction to your claim.

The third block is a proof of my claim that anime is special due to its unique drawing style. Also notice that anime is a short form for animation in Japan, and most of their public view it as a blanket term for all animation. If we are disputing that just because wikipedia says it can be used as a blanket term for all animation, then it is all animation, then by that logic all cartoons are anime. I am not saying that this is true, but just attempting to show that this is an improper way of looking at things.

Finally, in the last block we find wikipedia's definitions of anime. This says nothing about it being a cartoon, rather it says that it is a subcategory of animation.

Either way, you can believe anything you want. I just wanted to express my point since I do believe that they are separate things.

So a white tiger and a tiger are separate animals because the other tiger is WHITE? You might as well say " White tigers are rare, have white fur, and can have have either black brown or gray stripes, therefore they are separate from tigers". Sweet 5 lb 7 oz baby Jesus in that manger REALLY? Did you even READ that thread I sent you? You need to get off Wikipedia so you get the TRUTH. It clearly states that anime and cartoons being separate things is FALSE. Anime ARE cartoons. It CLEARLY states " While anime and WESTERN animation is different, it is NOT false to say they are BOTH cartoons.." Either get educated or get off my thread. Its been PROVEN all anime are cartoons but not all cartoons are anime. Its like saying humans are not omnivores by nature.

So a white tiger and a tiger are separate animals because the other tiger is WHITE? You might as well say " White tigers are rare, have white fur, and can have have either black brown or gray stripes, therefore they are separate from tigers". Sweet 5 lb 7 oz baby Jesus in that manger REALLY? Did you even READ that thread I sent you? You need to get off Wikipedia so you get the TRUTH. It clearly states that anime and cartoons being separate things is FALSE. Anime ARE cartoons. It CLEARLY states " While anime and WESTERN animation is different, it is NOT false to say they are BOTH cartoons.." Either get educated or get off my thread. Its been PROVEN all anime are cartoons but not all cartoons are anime. Its like saying humans are not omnivores by nature.

Well, I'm not going to argue further since I prefer people to not flame at me and you are too set in your ways to see any other viewpoint. Anyways, the thread that you sent me was about the wikipedia articles I linked to, which is why I used it in my argument.