Danganronpa - As delicious as it sounds

Nero D. Ace

Danganronpa Danganronpa Danganronpa. I just love saying that word. Much like Chimichanga. One of those words that's just fun to say, I suppose.

Okay, so this season has been pretty barren for me. At the start, I found 2 shows which I decided to watch all the way through -

Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan for the non japanese folks), and

Gargantua.

While I'm only passively following Shingeki no Kyojin, since I've been reading the manga since the past 2 years, I've dropped Gargantua. It started off with some promise, but the plot quickly dissolved away and while some people have said that it's more about the theme and characters than the actual plot, I gotta say - that main female lead annoys the shit outta me with her classic tropes. No way am I gonna be able to stand her for another minute.

(I'm very opinionated about this. I will suggest that you try it out for yourself. Maybe I'm just getting too old for anime now.)

So then, I was stuck all summer without a single show to actively follow.

Until ...

A pal of mine redirected me to a torrent to the first episode of this show

51463l.jpg

Danganronpa - The Animation

I saw three things about this that made me decide that THIS was gonna be my anime of the season -

1) There's a bear who talks like Teddie from Persona 4. And he's EVIL!

2) It's based off a visual novel in which the director of Persona 4 was involved.

3) The plot - 15 kids in a school. Trapped forever. Only way out - kill someone without being found out. If you do, you get to leave, everyone else dies. If you get caught, YOU die. *le squeal*

Right at this point, I was sold. I didn't care how they adapted the show to the visual novel. I was fucking sold. Instant Fanboy.

But then I saw the first episode and the execution and the screenplay and the music and the animation and ... whoa ...

You fellas need to watch this. Push this up to the top of your list. I'm so excited for this that I wanted to play the game then and there.

Unfortunately, like a lot of Japanese games, it was only released in Japan and only for the PSP.

My PSP is in kind of a bad shape with a somewhat broken screen, but I googled around a bit and I found this awesome group of fans called Project Zetsubou who had translated the first game COMPLETELY and were on work on the second one as well as the prequel novel.

You can visit their site here - http://danganronpa.wordpress.com/

I'm gonna replace my screen tomorrow and am already downloading the translation patch. This thing is gonna be my religion until I move onto the next Ace Attorney.

I'm also gonna start an "Episode Journal" for this thing. In that, what I'm basically gonna do is watch an episode, take notes about what I think at specific points, like how the animation quality is holding up, is they're putting in needless filler and how the pacing is going and compile it into my usual "wall".

I guess it's kind of like a detailed review with my personal opinion behind it.

I know first episodes aren't exactly the best impressions and visual novels don't always make good tv shows (Fucking Little Busters is proof of that. God, how I slogged through all those episodes waiting for what the fans called a great twist only to find out all the good shit is gonna happen in Season 2. FML.) but I'm willing to be optimistic about this one. Hell, Stein;s Gate and Higurashi are gonna be at the top of my list for a long time and they were based off VN's as well.

What are you still waiting around for? GO! WATCH DANGANRONPA!

danganronpa danganronpa

EDIT:

Apologies! Apologies!

I'd neglected to mention Hataraku Maou Sama (The Devil is a Part Timer!)

This one ended a while back and I forgot all about it cuz of my short term memory.

Wait ... which topic am I in? Was I writing about Dark Souls again?

Oh yeah! Devil, part timer! That shit is awesome too. Watch it!

Edited by Nero D. Ace
  • Like 1

I watched the first episode last night and it left me wanting to know more. I'd like to see how it plays out. I'm not usually one to watch horror anime but this one has me hooked. 

I'm interested in what your "walls" have to say. I enjoy reading them and they point out a lot I may have missed.

Dangan Ronpa isn't so much horror as it is murder mystery. The murders themselves aren't entirely outrageous or particularly gruesome (comparatively speaking). It's a little difficult to talk about without spoiling everything possible, but yeah.

The first episode is a little rushed. Some people complained that it seemed like it expected you to have previous knowledge of the game. Since I do have previous knowledge of the game, I can't really weigh in, but I do think they compressed quite a bit into a small amount of space. Also everyone has tiny baby hands. (And to be fair, this was something that was evident even in the game, especially on Fukawa.)

tumblr_mpfp2oLceY1qf2huro2_500.gif

(Look at Junko's baby hands!)

It's really cute, though, the way they introduced everyone with the cards and how they kept jumping in front of each other. And the way everyone was using poses from their sprites. And how they recreated the game's CGs. And Monobear animated is the greatest thing. 2qt

I can't wait to see how they translate other game aspects into the animation. (There's a lot of worry about how they'll integrate the social links.) I read that they were gonna do a straight adaptation, so hopes for mixed up murders are more than likely dashed.

I'm watching episode two right now without subs (not that it matters since I know what's going on anyway).

First of all, that OP with Monobear dancing? Oh my god, that is amazing. Other than that, it's pretty meh. Same thing with the ED. Although it seems like they'll be doing a kind of interesting thing with the ED and populating it as the series goes on, so that'll be interesting to see.

For those curious about the pacing, they fit the investigation in the space of less than five minutes. The investigation begins roundabouts 18:30 and Monobear calls them for trial just shortly after 21:00. Third episode will likely be the trial. Can't wait to see how they adapt those~

When i was reading the LP, Fukawa was super annoying during this first trial. Now that I see her animated, her paranoid ramblings are kind of cute and I'm a lot more sold on her eccentricities. Despite all the baby hands, I enjoy the animation quite a bit.

Third episode is floating around and subbed. I don't know how long it's been out, but assume spoilers in the following, haha.

Looks like the entirety of the episode was just the trial and execution, with a sidebar at the end between Naegi and Kirigiri about what happened.

Kind of sad they omitted the interaction between Ishimaru and Sakura when he thought she was a man.

Not a whole lot of background or characterisation given for Leon either, an omission that is especially jarring for those who had the benefit of seeing all the social links with him.

The execution scene was still pretty good though. Just as horrifying as it was when I first saw it in the game.

The trial, more so than the previous two episodes, definitely draws a lot from the game's aesthetic. The 2.5D is especially evident and I don't know exactly how I feel about how they incorporated the revolver and bullets. It makes sense in a game environment, but I don't know if it translates as well in the anime.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This disappointed me in all honesty. It promised a lot but didn't really deliver. The last episode was underwhelming. Still a decent series though.

i agree with everything you just said, felt a little corny with the "talk no jutsu" bullets lol

although it did look like there might be a second season.

The game was much better but still a nice series.