750 Words

I wibbled between posting this in the Balamb Cafe and here for a bit before deciding on dropping it here. Since it's not blogging and no one sees what you write but yourself, I figure the only people who would really find any purpose for this beyond the novelty factor would be writers.

750 Words

Exactly what it says on the tin--it's a site where you write 750 or more words a day. The only person who reads what you write on the site is you--it will compile some stats on what you write...

typing.png

mindsets.png

emotions.png

concerns.png

...but the algorithms seem to be pretty blind to the purpose the words you're using really meant to serve. For example, I farted a bit about my NaNo while using it, so I talked about my characters--one of them is named Red. The site parsed that as a colour and related it to sight.

I've only been using it for a few days, but it's been pretty fun so far. From my stats you can tell I just roll out my 750 in about ten minutes. I did it as a warm-up before writing because the last 10k of my NaNo was a little rough, haha. Of course, going so quickly meant rambling about whatever random thing came to mind, so there isn't a whole lot of salvageable material in there. Still, I enjoy it and I'm going to try to keep doing it daily. (Daily habit are clearly my strength and this will only turn out well for me.)

tumblr_m9raod3i0X1qdlkyg.gif

A lot of people have used this as an alternative to NaNo, or to fill the gap between Novembers so they stay on track by the time NaNo rolls around again.

Have you guys been using this, used it before, or heard about it in the past? What do you think of it?

It's good for competitive types, or people who are motivated by guilt. You gain points for streaks, points for writing without distractions, and points for other random stuff. Breaking your streak can be pretty disheartening, haha.

And there are badges for random stuff like how long your streak is, a NaNo badge you can acquire for writing 50k in any one month, and another badge for accumulating 100k total.