Mass Effect 3 thoughts?

renovalentine

Mass Effect 3 is out, and I'm sure many of you have purchased it and playing it right now.

I'm wandering what people thoughts are so far and how you think it stacks up the previous two instalments in terms of game play, story and characters etc? Also any favourite moments so far such as running into characters from the previous games.

My thoughts so far: I like the new features in the game play to make moving Shepard a bit smoother. Also putting access to the shops on the Normandy.

However I am a little disappointed that there is only one totally new party member without DLC and many of my favourite characters from ME2 haven't returned in the party. I won't judge the story yet but it's not as gripping as ME2 yet for me.

overall (so far) : Its good i want to keep playing it and i think its going to be better than mass effect 1 but i feel it might not live up to the standard that was ME2

SPOILER ALERT:

Update: Now i have completed the game I still feel that it wasn't as good as Mass Effect 2 I think is mainly because your party was mainly comprised of characters from Mass Effect 1 (although not a bad thing) i did prefer my party members in Mass Effect 2. However i did grow to like Garrus a lot more in this game than i had before.

I do think the soundtrack in this game was superb, the track which plays when your about to leave earth is really emotive (think thats the right word?) and perfect for the scene.

One of my favourite moments in the game was running into Jack seeing how she had turned her life around since the events of Mass Effect 2. Also seeing Grunt again i couldn't stop grinning when he was killing the Rachni.

As for the endings I will be doing more play throughs but as for now i have only seen one. The build up to the end was great, talking to Shepard's friends on the way to Anderson to say your goodbyes and what-not was a nice touch. And then getting busted up by the reaper beam truly epic even if it was a bit reminiscent of MGS4. I think the ending i saw was adequate, as i understand it there is a scene where a soldier in N7 armour presumably Shepard takes a breath (I missed it) which leads me to believe that Shepard is in fact alive. Now if thats there for DLC purposes or even just to make you wander? or a maybe a possibility of a Mass Effect 4? I don't know hopefully all of the above.

Overall: Not as good as Mass Effect 2 (although i didn't miss scanning all those planets) but still a great game well worth another play through or two.

im done with it. only takes 30hours to do everything you can in one go. its every epic and i find it blows ME2 away. and i does a great job of bring everything to a close from the last 2 games. the only problem i had with it was the ending. i found it to be really predictable and really meh. and i really did say that after i got done with the credits. i said "well that was really...meh" it wasn't the ending that it shoulda been and its not satisfying at all. imo. but overall it was worth playing.

I honestly don't get all the hate behind the endings. For one things, BioWare's writing the story, not you. If you - the haters are content with the beginning, lore and the rest of the codex that they provide, you're hardly in a position to demand them to change the ending just because it wasn't as "rainbows and ponies" as you wanted.

The ending is actually great and can be interpreted in multiple ways. And since BioWare has declared that there is NO canon in the game, you actually get to live happily ever after with your own interpretation of what happens after the battle.

Jeez, some people act like they've never had an ending like this before. Vandal Hearts anyone?

I honestly don't get all the hate behind the endings. For one things, BioWare's writing the story, not you. If you - the haters are content with the beginning, lore and the rest of the codex that they provide, you're hardly in a position to demand them to change the ending just because it wasn't as "rainbows and ponies" as you wanted.

The ending is actually great and can be interpreted in multiple ways. And since BioWare has declared that there is NO canon in the game, you actually get to live happily ever after with your own interpretation of what happens after the battle.

Jeez, some people act like they've never had an ending like this before. Vandal Hearts anyone?

I agree, though I though wish they would explain a few things better with regards to Joker hightailing it and your squad members who were with you in London magically appearing on the Normandy, as well as using the full anderson and shephard dialogue that was leaked, also the ability to tell the starchild, catalyst...thing about the geth and quarians but other than that I was okay with the endings, I don't think it should be changed, just improved slightly.

I agree, though I though wish they would explain a few things better with regards to Joker hightailing it and your squad members who were with you in London magically appearing on the Normandy, as well as using the full anderson and shephard dialogue that was leaked, also the ability to tell the starchild, catalyst...thing about the geth and quarians but other than that I was okay with the endings, I don't think it should be changed, just improved slightly.

Well, there's two explanations I can provide after listening to a friend's theory for a good hour. Be ware - major spoilers incoming -

*SPOILERS*

When you decide to take two squadmates with you to get to the beam to the Citadel, Harbinger arrives, there's a flash of light and everything goes blank for a while after which Shephard is the only one left alive. This means that your two squad mates must be dead.

Now, after getting all the fancy explosions and the ending (I chose to destroy them), Joker crash lands on a planet, he gets off and is followed by two crew members. Now, I had decided to take the Prothean with me and when Joker gets off, he's followed by Tali and the Prothean.

At that point, I was all - "Hello, didn't this guy die back on Earth?"

After that, I got a short scene of Shephard's armor lying in rubble and him taking a gasp, as if he were still alive.

Now, there's two reasons to explain this -

1) BioWare left a HUGE plot hole. I find this unlikely. They've been working on this game for ages. It's part of a franchise that fans have come to love and I refuse to think they would provide anything but the best for their fanbase.

2) And this is the theory - When Harbinger lands, that beam of light indoctrinates everyone, Shephard included. So, the last 10 minutes that we played, getting on that beam and talking down the Illusive Man, were all just an illusion. Another fact to accompany this is that when you choose to CONTROL THE REAPERS, that little kid smirks a little, as if he's won. Also, Shephard's armor is lying in rubble. How on earth did his body survive the crash to Earth. There is no possible way he shoudl've taken that gasp. Unless ... he never left Earth and was indoctrinated.

It's all very very open to interpretation but i think that in this ending, BioWare has given us all free reign to decide what happens to whom.

It's all very very open to interpretation but i think that in this ending, BioWare has given us all free reign to decide what happens to whom.

Well i think there is a lot more happening in the ending that they are letting us see obviously. i think this will be explained in either dlc but probably not, or a Mass Effect 4 now i know that they have claimed that Mass Effect 3 is the end of Shepard's story but video game developers lie to us all the time bungie claimed Halo 3 was the end of master chief's's story but what are they working on now Halo 4. Hideo Kojima said in the past he wouldn't make another metal gear solid after Sons of Liberty, but then he made Snake eater, portablele ops, Guns of the Patriots and Peace walker. I'm sure there are many more examples of this, so would not rule Shepard making a return out just yet.

Also ME4 could be like KOTOR 2 as in searching for Revan, but Shepard

All so ME4 could be like KOTOR 2 as in searching for Revan, but Shepard

i actually woulnt mind playing that game tho. i think it would be interesting. more so if you play as a romantic interest that you coulda had(for me it would be tali). and if you didnt have one you would play as whoever you got closer to or just a squad mate like garrus.

It takes to long to do i prefer Mass Effect 1

what takes to long? mass effect 1 was the longest of the games at 60+hours. while 2 and 3 where about 30hours

unless you mean getting to play 3 witch a guess it does but not really way the last to games could be played in the amount of time to play 1

Well i think there is a lot more happening in the ending that they are letting us see obviously. i think this will be explained in either dlc but probably not, or a Mass Effect 4 now i know that they have claimed that Mass Effect 3 is the end of Shepard's story but video game developers lie to us all the time bungie claimed Halo 3 was the end of master chief's's story but what are they working on now Halo 4. Hideo Kojima said in the past he wouldn't make another metal gear solid after Sons of Liberty, but then he made Snake eater, portablele ops, Guns of the Patriots and Peace walker. I'm sure there are many more examples of this, so would not rule Shepard making a return out just yet.

Also ME4 could be like KOTOR 2 as in searching for Revan, but Shepard

Well, there's already some leaked info about post-game DLC so the raging fans who won't rage about parting with their money should shut up pretty soon now.

And I really don't see an ME4 pretty much anywhere. BioWare's been sitting on a franchise that they could have milked long ago, namely Baldur's Gate, but instead they decided to create their own universe and tell their own stories viz. Dragon Age. I get that a lot of people complain about DA-2 but if you look at it, the only fault with it is that it isn't as good as DA-Origins. On the other hands, the new DLC - Mark of the Assassin more than made up for the story in my opinion.

It took a lot of balls to end ME3 the way they did and I'd be surprised if the creators came in at this point and said - "Hey guys, new game on the way in 2 more years."

If you think about it, if they had given everyone a lame old fashioned happy ending in ME3, it would've made far more sense to milk the franchise since they could keep pulling games from it like Naughty Dog does with the Uncharted series. (To the UC fanboys, I love the UC series and wish Naughty Dog all the best with their future games, including future UC titles, so please don't burn me.)

I have read on the whole indoctrination theory, though, I honestly don't think it makes too much sense(not with the destroy/low military strength ending anyway) the only viable place I see for something of the sort to happen would be right before shephard falls unconscious and wakes up by the catalyst, everything before just makes too much sense. One other thing that bothers me though, we've seen that the destruction of one mass relay will decimate an entire system, if all of them are destroyed, doesn't that mean that the entire milky way would be history? So I guess this means that the Normandy crew would pretty much be the only organic life left, If they survived.

Possibly unrelated but i believe the next ME will have James as the Main Character. I believe this game is grooming him to take over lead character.

I doubt it, bioware games always let you create a character who takes on the main role, he may make appearances but the main character will always be that guy who you made to look like you that everyone refers to by their last name/title for some reason lol.

One other thing that bothers me though, we've seen that the destruction of one mass relay will decimate an entire system, if all of them are destroyed, doesn't that mean that the entire milky way would be history? So I guess this means that the Normandy crew would pretty much be the only organic life left, If they survived.

It just depends on how a relay is destroyed. In arrival the relay is destroyed with brute force which causes a supernova like burst of energy, where as at the end of ME3 the relays are overloaded by the signal, causing only the destruction of the relays.

Besides, the kid never said "Oh yeah, this'll also wipe out all organic life in the galaxy. kthxbye"

• 2 weeks later...

the dumbest thing for me in this game was how the multiplayer tied into the single player, dumbest thing i have ever seen, and if u've played through from me1 you dont really get 2 many additions/changes. and ofc the ending wasnt stellar, but, it could easily have been if they took out the multiplayers part in the ending

The thing you don't understand is we don't care about HOW it ending, its the way it was giving that made us hate it. It's full of plot holes and in your face WTF moments and nothing you do matters in the overall scheme something they said WOULD BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT. must of us feel betrayed or lied to, i feel that yea it should be changed and i don't want no interperations, i hate that if nots my story then show me how it really ends cause my imagination aint filling in anything and i hate being left with a sense of being dropped off a cliff with no reason why.