Family or Friendship?

CaNzCo

What is more important to you.  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What is more important to you.

• Family
    • Friends
    • Both are equal

People generally make connections with those around them. The ones that are treasured usually fall under two groups. These groups are family, and friends. In order to keep this debate less personal, when I refer to family, I refer to the notion of it, not yours in particular, and when I refer to friends, I am doing the same thing. This means even though your BFF is awesome or you are a moma's boy at heart, you must answer this question based on the feelings these individual groups mean to you, not the people inside of them.

What is more important? Blood ties, or compatibility and enjoyment?

There is definitly a strong tie between families, and there is loyalty amongst friends... which do you feel is more important?

Better yet, why?

I think that friends are more important than family. I see my friends on a bi-daily basis or better, while I see my family much less often. After you are not dependant on your parents for support, you come to see friends as more helpful and trusted, as well as enjoying to be around them more. So although you may need your family to raise you, one you gain a sense of self and independance then the importance of family wanes.

In an ideal world, I would think both should be of about equal importance. You gain perspective from family you can't get from friends and vice versa. A family presumably raised you and has known you since you were throwing tantrums in a diaper. Friends likely have a more outsider's point of view of you, which is just as vital. They are more likely to view you in the here and now without considering your entire past, which is what the vast majority of the world will do, and give you their perspective.

However, I lean towards friends being more important. While family can be friends and friends can be like family, you can make new friends with somewhat more ease than you can make new family. Sometimes you just don't want to deal with anything associated with your family, haha.

Of course, what people reply is culture-dependent. For some cultures, family comes first, no matter what the cost.

I think because I am younger I am going to say friends. My parents have helped me out a lot growing up, and they mean a lot to me, but now that Im living on my own I dont see them as much.

But I think family would become more important if I was married and had children. I think friends become less important then, except for the friends who are "like family"

Family is definitely important to me, but like fuzzy said, until I have children of my own, I doubt I will feel as close to them as I do with my friends. Unfortunately based on the discussion so far it would seem most people consider friends more important... like me.

I truly believe my friends are the sole reason I am alive today. I have never been one for being indecisive, and when I felt like I was not enjoying life anymore, it was my friends that convinced me there was more to live for. Its not like I hate my family, I love them dearly, but friends are the people that I want to spend my time with currently.