Civil rights versus security.

Emotional Outlet

There seems to be a little smattering of war topics in here. Let's continue the trend! (And I have a feeling which way the opinions are going to lean and I'm just going to get mad, but never mind that.) This is USA-centric, but for those living in the cannibalistic jungles of the outside world (;)), please try apply it to your country of residence and not make sweeping remarks about the US, plzkthnx. Actual questions are bolded for people who skim.

"Be resolved that war justifies the limiting of civil liberties."

I was on the pro side, chose to be on the pro, and I personally agree with it. My classmates on the other hand did not, and their little agendas skewed the grading. [/paranoia]

In any case, since the debate is over and I won't feel like it's cheating to ask people about this, what's your opinion? In a time of crisis, when security may be at risk for citizens, is it right and/or justifiable that certain rights, such as the writ of habeas corpus, be temporarily suspended?

In addition and along the same lines, do you feel that citizens have too much freedom, have freedom they don't even need? A survey mentioned on this page (http://www.commondreams.org/views02/0113-03.htm) says that 39% of people agreed to some degree that the first amendment goes too far. Are we guaranteed too much, or, as my history teacher asked me after pwning my opponent with a series of questions, are we simply interpreting the Constitution differently?

That's the set-up--go play and maybe I'll pop back in. :P

do you feel that citizens have too much freedom, have freedom they don't even need?

Why should humans let other humans tell them what to do? Freedom? I think everyone is entitled to their own self-freedom. It shouldn't be cut off because others want to establish some sort of communist world.

In a time of crisis, when security may be at risk for citizens, is it right and/or justifiable that certain rights, such as the writ of habeas corpus, be temporarily suspended?

Yes, I do, if there is some sort of rebellion in our country that could just turn into war in America then I am for the suspension. Reminds me of V for Vendetta.

• 1 month later...

Whatever we created (humans) it is bound to be flawed in some way, this is one of those things. In addition I feel that sooner or later most of the people will realize that you can't have too much freedom, freedom is freedom, you can only take away freedom not add on to it. I look at it this way, freedom is a cup, you can only drink out of it, not pour into it, slowly but surely you are going to drain that cup of it's fluid, the fluid represents the freedom.

At least thats what I think at least.