Classic Human Flaw

-PHXN- New001

I think Andrew Ryan has a good idea of the greatest human flaw: Altruism.

Andrew Ryan: What is the greatest lie every created? What is the most vicious obscenity ever perpetrated on mankind? Slavery? The Holocaust? Dictatorship? No. It's the tool with which all that wickedness is built: altruism. Whenever anyone wants others to do their work, they call upon their altruism. Never mind your own needs, they say, think of the needs of... of whoever. The state. The poor. Of the army, of the king, of God! The list goes on and on. How many catastrophes were launched with the words "think of yourself"? It's the "king and country" crowd who light the torch of destruction. It is this great inversion, this ancient lie, which has chained humanity to an endless cycle of guilt and failure. My journey to Rapture was my second exodus. In 1919, I fled a country that had traded in despotism for insanity. The Marxist revolution simply traded one lie for another. Instead of one man, the tsar, owning the work of all the people, *all* the people owned the work of all of the people. So, I came to America: where a man could own his own work, where a man could benefit from the brilliance of his own mind, the strength of his own muscles, the *might* of his own will. I had thought I had left the parasites of Moscow behind me. I had thought I had left the Marxist altruists to their collective farms and their five-year plans. But as the German fools threw themselves on Hitler's sword "for the good of the Reich", the Americans drank deeper and deeper of the Bolshevik poison, spoon-fed to them by Roosevelt and his New Dealists. And so, I asked myself: in what country was there a place for men like me - men who refused to say "yes" to the parasites and the doubters, men who believed that work was sacred and property rights inviolate. And then one day, the happy answer came to me, my friends: there was *no* country for people like me! And *that* was the moment I decided... to build one.

Drumroll, I kind of like that idea actually. It brings the responsibility to the common man rather than the mastermind/dictator/what have you. Not to say that Hitler shouldn't be held responsible, but that maybe his followers should have woken up at some point stopped him. Of course, history and psychology teach us that they were being manipulated by the best propaganda campaign in history, but maybe that's where that altruism comes in. They were willing to sacrifice their morality for the hope of a better time.

I feel I should apologize for picking on the Germans (and, in a way, engrandizing Hitler). It seems like of all the genocides in the world, Hitler's was the least thorough. Then again, maybe that's why we're okay with talking about it.

• 1 month later...