Android Talk

Seraphim

Well I've not actually tried it yet, so I wouldn't know. I just found an article on engadget that was reporting about it. It had a link at the bottom to the directions but I can't seem to find it now. I did find a how to here, but it's only for installing 3.0 Honeycomb on the Nook tablet.

i was gonna root my phone also but i keep reading that the new gingerbread update for droid x coming wont allow you to revert your rooted phone back to factory specs..hence voiding warranty..and i want to get the update when it gets ota..i hear it looks really cool..

• 3 weeks later...

I rooted my droid x with no issues at all. Just download a program called z4root and it will root your phone for you. You can also unroot your phone prior to applying the update using the same app. However if you root, I'd go with a custom rom. There are factory sbf files for the droid x where you can revert back to a factory released state.

• 1 month later...

rooting with z4root is really easy. just install the .apk file on your phone, run the app, and press root. i used it on an original Droid and it works perfect. i love rooting for the custom roms mostly. all other features are just a bonus. i was really impressed when i got my Droid 1 last Christmas (i'm using it as a pmp). it's a great platform, and i still have my old iPod Touch, so i get hte best of both worlds.

@Seraphim

you should check out ADW Launcher. the customization amazed me at first, and i love it.

• 1 month later...

I like Android, alot.

But the "development community" is full of circlejerking buttmonkeys who love the platform more than they love to work for the platform.

The things that iOSuX has that Android doesn't:

-a more efficient *nix subsystem and a package management system (dpkg/apt/repositories).

-More complete software. Android Devs seem to recycle ideas and make half baked software that somehow gets in to the market with out a problem. Many times you'll be getting multiple apps to do the same task, wishing for an app with all the features of the half baked ones.

-Some type of standardization. Since Android is open source many carriers/manufacturers have their own flavor of the OS, which leads to features being forgotten, distorted, or overlooked.

Of course with the exception of the last one, Apple has nothing to do with that being available on iOSuX to begin with. Even the people who created it don't even use OS X to build software for iOSuX.

Someone might say "zolockit, what's with the first one? It's a phone, why are you trying to use it as a Unix workstation?"

All I can say is why not?

It's possible, and any time I ask why isn't it being done, I get the age old "yet, it hasn't been done yet." True, but it just seems like it will never be done. Since devs just keep making their own custom roms with watered down binaries of whatever gnu/core software, or having it depend on busybox, for the sake of good ol' epeens. :/

If I was a comp sci major with a decent amount of experience with actually programming, I would try it myself, but I am not. ;/

Yeah, if I really wanted to, I could try to put another arm-based Linux distro on the device itself. But what would be the point? My main gripe is towards the large amount of complacency towards the platform. People are too satisfied with what it can do and are not attempting to make it do more.

I like Android, I really like my Droid 2. It's more awesome than half of the computers everybody here owns. But I would like to see some kind of progress in the future. Even though I highlighted some of iOSuX's good points, Android can still do everything it does better, people just need to actually do it.