Ban the Swastika

WAIW

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6263103.stm

Germany hopes to make Holocaust denial a crime across the EU as part of a package of laws it wants to introduce during its presidency of the bloc.

Berlin is also set to outline plans to ban Nazi symbols like the swastika, which, like denying the massacre of the Jews, is already outlawed in Germany.

Interesting bit I saw elsewhere.

This is quite interesting.

I think its quite respectable the lengths Germany has done through to essentially say: "Sorry, I know we can't take it back, but we'd like to make it better."

This is certainly a good thing compared to their resentment after WWI.

As the article mentions swastikas are already illegal in Germany.

Heres the thing though, the swastika though adopted by the Nazi's, is not an original symbol. In the article it does touch on that. It has a much more ancient roots withing Buddhism Hinduism and Jainism.

That makes the age old argument of freedom of speech arise.

While I agree with making denouncing the holocaust illegal I don't agree with banning the swastika. As PHXN said, it wasn't originally a Nazi symbol and perhaps the best cause of action when it comes to handling it appearing elsewhere is to simply remind people of this fact. Has Cambodia banned the use of the colour crimson? Has Russia banned images of people holding hammers or sickles? Have Jewish people decided to never associate themselves with the star of David again? If so, Israel's made a bit of a boo boo with the flag.

• 2 weeks later...

The swastica was as tolen symbol from what I believe is an indian religeon, or another sybol branching bhudism. The use of the swastica was only used to give clouded symbolism to the people. Its not the original version of coarse but even altered it is pretty closesly resembeled. The original is mirrored and not slanted. But thanks to the holocaust it is now reveared as an evil hate-filled symbol, regardless of how its drawn. Its the same as the spirit five-point. The star within a circle. With a point twards the heavens symbolises good, and pointing down symbolises evil. Slight changes, massively differant meanings. Whiplash makes a poitn as well. But in the end it all just depends on how the majority of the masses get persuaded. Alot of decisions are stupid, but it only changes the symbols people hate or love. Its all just another mark to seperate us further.