Summer 2024 Anime Season

Koby

🌞Summer Anime 2024 🎆

AniChart | MAL Chart | AniDB Chart

Almost every season I make this thread and narrow down my own watch list after reading up about every show, seeing what studio is behind them, what staff is working on them, watching a preview, and reading others thoughts on the matter. Below you can see what I've narrowed down for my personal viewing this season. Let me know what you're watching!

Sequels:

• Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest
  • NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2
  • Sengoku Youko: Senma Konton-hen
  • Tower of God Season 2

Continuing:

• My Hero Academia Season 7
  • Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf
  • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 3

New Series Potentially Watching:

• Atri -My Dear Moments-
  • Delico's Nursery
  • Failure Frame
  • Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
  • Tasuketsu
  • The Elusive Samurai
  • The Ossan Newbie Adventurer
  • Why Does Nobody Remember Me in This World?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2024 at 3:00 PM, Arisien said:

Continuing (Spring 2024)

• Code Geass: Rozé of the Recapture

Are they STILL releasing Code Geass stuff? I watched the original & R2. Loved them at the time. Then there were the recap movies and/or the movie they originally teased as sort of a Season 3, but it turned out to be a weird retcon-recap as well. After that disappointment, I hopped off the Geass train. I wish we could get more Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, I really dug that show & I'm still sad we got movies instead of a formal Season 2.

Back on topic...I'm not watching anything from this Season. I still watch anime every week, but I've been pre-occupied with 80s - 2000's stuff for months now. I watch with a group on Friday nights. We're nearing the end of InuYasha (We tossed in Fire Tripper for good measure one week), just started Yu Yu Hakusho, and watched Kite, Kite Liberator, and Mezzo Forte very recently. The really new stuff (2020 onwards) feels pretty same-y to me. Maybe I've just seen too much anime? The most recent thing I watched that I got any enjoyment out of was Akiba Maid War.

Scratch that, I just saw Spice & Wolf on Koby's list. I'll watch that. The manga & Light Novels got me into Silver investing...need to pay my respects.

13 hours ago, Zemekis said:

Are they STILL releasing Code Geass stuff? I watched the original & R2. Loved them at the time. Then there were the recap movies and/or the movie they originally teased as sort of a Season 3, but it turned out to be a weird retcon-recap as well. After that disappointment, I hopped off the Geass train. I wish we could get more Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, I really dug that show & I'm still sad we got movies instead of a formal Season 2.

Back on topic...I'm not watching anything from this Season. I still watch anime every week, but I've been pre-occupied with 80s - 2000's stuff for months now. I watch with a group on Friday nights. We're nearing the end of InuYasha (We tossed in Fire Tripper for good measure one week), just started Yu Yu Hakusho, and watched Kite, Kite Liberator, and Mezzo Forte very recently. The really new stuff (2020 onwards) feels pretty same-y to me. Maybe I've just seen too much anime? The most recent thing I watched that I got any enjoyment out of was Akiba Maid War.

Scratch that, I just saw Spice & Wolf on Koby's list. I'll watch that. The manga & Light Novels got me into Silver investing...need to pay my respects.

Yup. But R1 & R2 is the full story though. Any true sequel would inherently undermine R2 ending in my opinion. The "recaps" and their "sequels" aren't canon and are their own thing, not the biggest fan of their existence regardless. Just trying this to see if the spinoff will expand any of the series' extensive world-building. I swear it's not just them getting me to watch it by putting CG in the title :D

I haven't been that impressed with anything that's come out in the last few years either with a couple exceptions. Still like to pick up at-least one new series per season to see if there are any new ideas floating around. This season my highest hopes are for Atri, which is an adaptation of a well received VN I haven't got around to playing yet, otherwise going in blind. Spice and Wolf is actually from previous season so 13 episodes are already out.